Start a conversation on a Planner task in Teams

Copper Contributor

Is there a way to "start a conversation" on a Planner task in a Teams channel? 

We use our Teams channel in a linear fashion and prefer to comment on files directly on Teams. So our usual workflow is to:

1. Upload a document onto Teams
  2. Press "Start a Conversation" to @ team members and update them on a status, ask questions, etc.

Essentially we want to streamline our collaboration to the Teams channel rather than commenting on a task in Planner and having to track those notifications via email. At that point we'd have to track our conversations both in our email and our activity feed in Teams - making it more likely to miss something since we're now split across two modes of communication. We'd much rather just track all activity on Teams and streamline communication to Teams if that makes sense. Obviously we'd use email still for communicating with external clients, but ideally we'd like to use Teams for most of our internal communication.

While I understand that the comments feature in Planner is necessary for those only using Planner (and not using Teams), the comments feature is not nearly as robust as conversations in Teams. The ability to edit responses, @ our team members, etc. is great in Teams - it's just not quite there in Planner yet.

3 Replies
Unfortunately Today is what we have in regards of Planner comments:
- No "@" support
- No native integration with Teams so the comments are posted as conversations in Teams channels
I was just thinking today if there was a option to do something just like that. :(
This would be my #1 ask for an upgrade in Teams. Please add the Conversation functionality to Tasks by Planner. Or will it be part of the "new Planner experience" noted in the Teams banner? Thank you MS!