"We were unable to complete your request because your item or memory limit has been exceeded."

Copper Contributor

Hello everyone,

I am currently experiencing the following problem in Planner:

I can still create tasks and assign them to myself and/or others, but other members of my team can no longer assign tasks to me. I am also unable to assign myself to tasks that others have created.

The following error message appears:

"We were unable to complete your request because your item or memory limit has been exceeded."

Is this a known problem? What can I do? I have tried simply creating a new plan in the hope of being able to continue working there. Unfortunately, that didn't work.

I am grateful for any ideas for solutions!

1 Reply

Hi @SteFF1024,

The error message you're encountering in Planner, stating "We were unable to complete your request because your item or memory limit has been exceeded," is commonly associated with surpassing the maximum task limit assigned to a user.

Planner imposes a restriction of 3000 tasks per user across all plans. If you've reached this limit, task assignment issues may arise, regardless of whether tasks are open or closed.

To address this problem, try to Delete closed tasks. If you have a substantial number of closed tasks, removing some of these could help resolve the issue.

Here are some useful links:
Microsoft Planner limits - Microsoft Planner | Microsoft Learn
[RESOLVED] Microsoft Planner Storage within a SharePoint Site/365 - Microsoft Community
Cannot assign tasks in Planner - "Your item or storage limit has been - Microsoft Community

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)