Planner Teams integration

Brass Contributor

Hi,

maybe someone can enlighten me on the Planner/Teams integration.

I have create a Microsoft Team, and added a Planner tab (new plan) to the General tab.

I create a new channel "Other" and also added a Planner tab, but this time opted to use the Plan that I created in the General tab.

Result: 

- 2 different plans

- Planner now showing only the most recently created plan in the left menu (More Plans)

- The plan I created in General tab is not visible on Planner web interface, nowhere (not planner hub, not left menu)

- I still can see all the tasks assigned if I go to My tasks, and when I sort by Plan instead of Status, I can see the two plans (with tasks)

So for me, two faulty behaviors. 

1. Teams does not use an existing plan, though I said it should use an existing plan

2. Planner apparently creates more Plans for the same Team (O365 group for the sake)

Anybody with ideas or is this a known problem, or is it me doing something wrong?

Best

Martin

3 Replies

Yes, it's not a 1:1 mapping - you can have multiple Plans per Team. Which in turn will spawn multiple hidden Office 365 Groups, just for the sake of "linking" the Plans to said Team. The "correct" way of doing things is detailed here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Planner-Blog/Bringing-a-Plan-into-Microsoft-Teams/ba-p/57463

And there's a very long thread with more details on what you are describing here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams/How-do-you-add-existing-Planners-to-Teams-or-...

Hi, thanks for your answer.

Indeed I see it is not 1:1 and I see a lot of people having issues. I worked though the articles and they mostly describe on how to get things right in Teams, I personally am more interested in getting the Planner website to work right.

Is there a way I can see these hidden groups. Once I start deleting tabs in Teams, I loose track of Plans as I don't know where to find them in e.g. Planner.

Best

Martin

And an update, it would look like also the naming influences the "default" plan to be displayed in Planner, when you add plans to Teams.

Once I added a plan with the same name as the Team, that plan became the one visible in Planner for the group. The others were still reachable via Teams tabs. The original plan that was associated with Planner for the team, became invisible (but still present). 

Deleting the new "default" plan then, caused a new plan to be created as default for the group. Funny. Still the very first one was invisible.

So I headed to Graph Explorer to find out which Plans actually existed and used that to open them in Planner. From there on I could delete the inaccessible plans.

My conclusion, don't try to give a plan the same name as a team. Make sure you always have at least one task assigned to you (helps the graph api) and make sure you are the owner. That guarantees that you remain in control.