SOLVED

Planner Limitations

Bronze Contributor

Hi Planner Team,

We have noticed that the following are the known limitations in Planner.
- 250 assigned tasks per user irrespective of plans
- 1500 tasks can be created by an user irrespective of plans

- 250 Active tasks (Not Started, In Progress) per plan [Updated 18 Aug 2017]

If an user need to overcome 250 assigned tasks limitation he has to unassign the tasks assigned to him.  The worst part to overcome 1500 created tasks limitation is to delete the tasks created by him.

These limitations seems to limit the planner usage. For the long term plans, users will get 250 tasks assigned and 1500 tasks created in a short span of time. Also these limitations are not well documented and this made us to fear about the hidden unknown limitations.

So in order to ease the Planner adoption we request you to declare the limitations and see the possibility to increase these limits. This will only help the organizations to adopt for Planner easily.  We have two clients of us who are worst affected by these limitations and reconsidering the usage of planner now.

115 Replies

I am hitting a limitation of 400 items returned in the List Tasks for the Planner connector in Flow.  This is the first time I've noticed - we have been using Planner since Jan 2018.  Is there any type of workaround for this? 

Since there is, as of yet, no reporting from Planner - have been outputting items in Excel and creating pivot tables to produce the data I need.

Now I am going to be stuck at 400 item limit.  Any words of wisdom? 

Hi Joanna,

It would be great to know the exact limitations, we are noticing some users getting "We couldn't complete your request because your item or storage limit has been exceeded. Technical details."

+5000 to the request, any updates?  Impacting a Fortune 500 adopter for Planner.

Would be nice to kow beforehand the current limitation of the product !

Would be nice if we got an update on this... been over a year since someone from Microsoft said they were working on it.  Understood you're working on a lot but I would assume this is relatively low hanging fruit...  If it can't be done soon it would be helpful to understand the complexities behind what's dragging this out...

https://planner.uservoice.com/forums/330525-microsoft-planner-feedback-forum/suggestions/16700584-re...

After stumbling across this thread I put a ticket on O365 support portal which found its way to the Project Online & Planner support team who confirmed the following limitations (as of 31.07.18)

200 is a limit on the buckets in a Plan.

250 is the limit on active tasks in a Plan.

300 is the limit on tasks assigned to a user.

1500 Overall tasks that can be created in Planner Tenant.

13.92 MB attachment size in Planner.

After stumbling across this thread I put a ticket on O365 support portal which found its way to the Project Online & Planner support team who confirmed the following limitations (as of 31.07.18)

200 is a limit on the buckets in a Plan.

250 is the limit on active tasks in a Plan.

300 is the limit on tasks assigned to a user.

1500 Overall tasks that can be created in Planner Tenant.

13.92 MB attachment size in Planner.

Hey @Craig Marshall - 

These limits you've posted are incorrect. In particular, the limit you've bolded is extremely off. I will follow up with our support team to make sure that we're not sharing limits that are wrong and misleading our customers. 

@Brian-Smith for visibility.

Please feel free to contact me with any further questions.

Thanks, 

Joanna Parkhurst

PM, Microsoft Planner

What are the limits then if this is incorrect?

I saw this post from ‎11-10-2017 that said: 

Removing task limits from Microsoft Planner

Many users have asked about overall task limits within Planner, and by the end of December [I'm assuming this was December 2017], we will have removed all functional limits to tasks. When users open their Planner boards, we will surface the tasks that are most relevant to them and provide options to fetch older tasks as needed.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Planner-Blog/Planner-Ignite-Review-and-Roadmap/bc-p/126894#M8...

@Joanna Parkhurst Seems you have time to correct your support teams, but since Planner is released your product team has no time to publish an official support post about Planner limits? Not understandable. Recently I had also a case for Planner and was so disappointed about the support. 

Maybe this support guy understands why customers want to know limits and got from other teams outdated information. How long should customers wait for official limits? 

Thanks @Joanna Parkhurst.  Please can you confirm what the limits are in each of the cases listed, and indeed provide details of any further usage limits that exist?  We are not going to be able to adopt Planner if we are unable to ascertain its scalability (or even basic usability).

I've DMd you with a full copy of the info I received form O365 support.

Thanks in advance

Craig

I am hitting 400 tasks limit in Flow for Planner - List Tasks - as of 8/15/2018

My company loves O365 and has been gearing up to use Planner, but these task limits are a big concern for us. 

How can we commit to training our teams on Planner when we know we'll hit the limit in a few short months?

Without a removal of such limits from Microsoft very soon, we'll have to go with a competing product. How disappointing.

@Fritz Griffioen Glad to hear your company is loving O365 and is excited about potentially adopting Planner!

Are there any limits in particular you're concerned about? As I stated earlier on this thread, organizations of all shapes and sizes utilize Planner (including our own organization, Microsoft!) with great success - we've built our service with the expectation that it should handle the workload required by organizations and were able to learn from Office products like Project and Excel to understand these demands. I'm confident that your organization could adopt Planner without hitting any issues of this nature!

Happy to talk more about this, feel free to DM me as well.

@Joanna Parkhurst if you'll post the current official limits we can give you detailed feedback on where Planner is letting us down.  I recently gave a talk about Planner to several clients where unfortunately I had to tell them not to use it and advised other solutions. I like Planner and want to see it become something we can recommend.

Here's what we know right now:

- 250 assigned tasks per user irrespective of plans
- 1500 tasks can be created by an user irrespective of plans

- 250 Active tasks (Not Started, In Progress) per plan [Updated 18 Aug 2017]

Your response sounds like these won't be addressed, which means this is likely a non-starter for any organization of size or project of length.  I could see it being good for event planning.  That's just not something we or most of our clients do.

Hey @Scott Lonheim - 

In case this message got lost earlier in this thread, I'll summarize a few things here. First, the limits you've mentioned are now out of date as they have since been raised. Our team has had an ongoing effort to improve our performance. With each incremental improvement, we've been able to raise these limits. We're not finished with our work in this area and want to make sure all improvements are fully shipped and stable before we publicly post documentation around this. 

Second, Planner has been adopted by many organizations of size to be used for projects of length. We wouldn't be standing today if users weren't able to use Planner for anything more than event planning. Again, if you're concerned with a particular limit or have a scenario in mind, I'm happy to speak more about this. But, I hope that your concern around Planner's lack of explicit limit documentation doesn't prevent you from using and advising others to. 

Thanks, 

Joanna

Is this still an issue?

And what should I tell my customers?

Right now we can't provide Planner as a task handler with any amount of viable history handling :\

"But, I hope that your concern around Planner's lack of explicit limit documentation doesn't prevent you from using and advising others to."

This will always have an opposite effect no matter how you put it.

Great point, if Microsoft does increase the # of task how will you you know the results?

Help us recommend Planner, please. We need it to scale and we need evidence of that.

We like Planner and want it to succeed.