SOLVED

Planner Limitations

Bronze Contributor

Hi Planner Team,

We have noticed that the following are the known limitations in Planner.
- 250 assigned tasks per user irrespective of plans
- 1500 tasks can be created by an user irrespective of plans

- 250 Active tasks (Not Started, In Progress) per plan [Updated 18 Aug 2017]

If an user need to overcome 250 assigned tasks limitation he has to unassign the tasks assigned to him.  The worst part to overcome 1500 created tasks limitation is to delete the tasks created by him.

These limitations seems to limit the planner usage. For the long term plans, users will get 250 tasks assigned and 1500 tasks created in a short span of time. Also these limitations are not well documented and this made us to fear about the hidden unknown limitations.

So in order to ease the Planner adoption we request you to declare the limitations and see the possibility to increase these limits. This will only help the organizations to adopt for Planner easily.  We have two clients of us who are worst affected by these limitations and reconsidering the usage of planner now.

115 Replies

@Ian Halliday wrote:

I've not spotted anything, but was there any mention of these limitations (and future improvements) at Ignite?

We announced at Ignite that effective immediately (or very soon for some customers), we removed - for all intents and purposes - the limitations on task assignments. Will be posting a blog soon that reviews Ignite and roadmap announcements! All videos are currently on YouTube.

Hi @Dave Heller, here is the blog which lists the recent announcements made from Ignite. http://www.jijitechnologies.com/blogs/microsoft-planner-new-feature-announcements-ignite

Regardless the task status, the most tasks a user may have assigned to him/her, at a time, is 250 tasks.  QUESTION:  By what date (Month/Year) will Microsoft remove the Office365 Planner limitation that limits an individual user to having a maximum of 250 tasks assigned to him/her?

Mmm...I think the answer is going to be: no ETA yet

I've been waiting with a degree of frustration for these limits to be lifted, and confirm that on our tenant these were lifted over the weekend. Yet I know a friend who is still stuck with the limitations on theirs.

As with all changes to O365 I can only assume the roll-out is gradual across all tenants. I would guess getting an accurate ETA is going to be tough for any given tenant.

We are rolling out the removal of assigned task limits. If it hasn't reached your tenant yet, it will shortly!

Ey Dave,
What are going to be the new limits?
An updates on this limitation?

Hi Dave, Any news about when the limits will be removed?

Same here...we have not heard about any new features and limits removal since Ignite
Is there an official source that lists the constraints?

I saw somewhere else where @George Bullock took over for Dave, so cc'ing him into this conversation.

Hello all!

We still have a few remaining work items to increase our limits across Planner. I should have an update soon. In the meantime, feel free to mention or DM me for an update. We appreciate your patience with this!

-Joanna Parkhurst, PM Planner

Hi Joanna, Thanks for posting. We have been waiting for months to get an update from Microsoft about this serious issue which affects Planner adoption by many of our customers. We have some customers who have moved to other task management tools after knowing these limitations in Planner. An ETA on this would be much appreciated as we can inform our customers.

Hi @Dave Heller, my team is looking to upgrade from excel-based tracking, and Planner seems like it has a lot of potential.  However, from my review of certain boards, "shortly" sometimes seems like an optimistic word :)  Planner will really only work for us if 1) there are no task creation limits, since we will probably have one main administrator, and 2) if we will be able to create update reports to share with our clients.  

RE #1- has there been any updates on the limit removal roll-out?

RE #2- Prior to having functional guest access, I am now demo-ing Apps4.Pro Planner Manager, and iGlobe iPlanner for Excel, to create progress snapshot reports w/ updates we can share on Sharepoint.  Does anybody have a similar experience in needing reporting functionality from Planner, and what tools have you found useful?

Thanks all!

Hello all!

The Planner team has lifted limits users may have hit in the past. We will continue to monitor usage and proactively increase limits as we see them needing to be raised. Although we won’t be publishing official documentation on what these limits are, we do want to assure our users that Planner is a product that can scale well to a large group or organization. Planner has been successfully adopted by teams of all sizes, and we are committed to ensuring that this isn’t something our users will need to think or worry about.

Cheers, 

Joanna Parkhurst, PM Planner

Thanks @Joanna Parkhurst.  Just to be clear, are you monitoring limits and proactively raising on an aggregate level, or per account as needed?  In the case of our company, we are considering setting up a project template for each new client, where 1-2 people would be the central administrators.  That said, we do not want to hit a ceiling shortly after roll out.  What action do you recommend if we do hit the invisible wall?  Will extended limits be available for purchase?  Can you give some general range?

I also connected with @Santhosh Balakrishnan yesterday, who unbeknownst to me is now sales head at Jiji Technologies, creator of product I've been testing.  They seem to be doing a great job of building out some very useful API's for getting the most out of Planner, and he was very responsive in upgrading me to a fully-functional 30 day license after I sent a support email.  Although there still seem to be a couple bugs, I think it would be great if your team could take a look at what they're doing, especially with templates, export/import with excel, and reporting.  Perhaps we wouldn't need to completely reinvent the wheel?  Just a thought.

https://apps4.pro/planner-manager.aspx

Hi @Joanna Parkhurst,

Is there any official word on the resolution of the cap on task assignments? You stated that there was no official documentation on the limitations, but some of us are making decisions about what products to use and we're taking the limitations noted by @Santhosh Balakrishnan into consideration. Can you confirm if the limits in the original post have been lifted?

Thank you,

David Thurston

Please kill off the applications dependency on Sharepoint and Groups. This is absolutely keeping my teams from using this application. All love the potential, but are sticking with Trello and Asana in that they are more fluid and you can collaborate without all of the clunkiness of the legacy backend that these tools are built on.

Hi Dave...have these limitations been resolved?  We need to be able to do a couple of things within our organization.  More tasks within a checklist (currently can only have 20) and no cap on assigned tasks to a user...

Has there been able progress on any of this?