New Office 365 Group not shown when creating new Planner Plan

Copper Contributor

Our organization created a new Private Office 365 Group (not a Team) but when creating a new Planner Plan this group is not shown as an option to assign the Plan to. We've created Private O365 Groups previously that are not Teams and were able to create new Plans associated to those teams. What would be different or what other settings have limited this group from showing up?

16 Replies

Hello @Bill_Alexander, I am experiencing something very similar in that an Owner of an Office 365 Group/Team would like to add a plan to an existing group but that group/team is not showing within the list of groups. What I did notice, was that this person had changed their group name recently and neither the new or old group name shows in the existing groups list. I have changed their group/team name back to the old one to see if that will allow them to create a new plan for an existing group.

@Michael Mitchell ,

I found a possible solution in my development environment that when I added the Owner as a Member of the same Office 365 Group that the group appears while creating a new Plan in Planner. I'm not sure if this was intended by Microsoft a user has to be both Owner & Member of the same Group or if only members have the option of associating new Plans with the group. It was unclear in the documentation online. 

@Bill_Alexander This worked for me, i was already an owner of the o365 group but when trying to create a planner board to this existing group it did not show in the search box. I added myself as a member, waited a few mins and created a new planner and choose existing group and now the group was there. this is really weird.

@darrennewberry For Microsoft Planner, you need to be a member of the Group. Group owners don't have versatile rights. 

That solved my problem too. Thanks!

@Bill_Alexander 

Worked for me as well.  Thanks for finding this fix.

@Bill_Alexander 

What the actual F. 

This is exactly what worked. Went into Admin, added the owners as members as well, signed out and back in, and bam, could add planners now. 

This is a bug, and needs to be addressed. Owners should be able to add anything to anywhere in their Team. Goodness.

I'm an owner of two Teams/Groups. As far as I know, I'm not a separate member of either. In fact, I can't seem to figure out on my own how to add myself as a member without removing ownership. 

One team shows as an option when adding a plan, the other does not. I have changed the names of both teams in the past, so I don't believe it is that,

Any thoughts?

This bug is still ongoing. Whenever you create a new Team, if you assign an Owner at creation, that Owner has no ability to see the M365 Group that was created for the very Team they are an Owner of. As noted by other posters, the fix is that an Owner MUST be set as a Member first and then changed to be an Owner before they will be able to view that M365 Group in any app (Planner, Project for Office, etc.).

This bug is still ongoing. Whenever you create a new Team, if you assign an Owner at creation, that Owner has no ability to see the M365 Group that was created for the very Team they are an Owner of. As noted by other posters, the fix is that an Owner MUST be set as a Member first and then changed to be an Owner before they will be able to view that M365 Group in any app (Planner, Project for Office, etc.).

Well everything works if you create the group/Team from Teams.
In Teams it looks as if you are the owner only but when looking in admin center on the group you have been added as booth owner and member.

I think the problem is if you had and/or manipulate the Team from any of the admin centers
Worked for me as well, thank you!

@Bill_Alexander 

@All

I have several situations where, as an admin, I need to see what's going on, but don't need to be able to do everything with it.  Adding myself as an "owner" lets me add users as members, clean a few things up, moderate a little or delegate a bot, and generally keep an eye on things, without allowing me to do much more.  I usually temporarily add myself as a member, then remove it once the main structure is working, and they have been trained on it.  Once I'm out of members, they take over.  I leave one group\team available for IT projects and another as a learning annex.  The first is where they can pose questions or ask for help, the other is just a playground for them to test things out, and if it works out, they can move it where they need it later.  I generally clean these out by hand or use retention policies to clear them at the end of a month, with a flow that stores the text of any chats or posts with the date\time stamps.  This has worked out pretty well.  Since they can all set up a plan, add to calendars and share data easily, they only need me accessible about 3months, then they only need a spot check a few times a month.  It saves me time, being able to add other owners\members, and it keeps me from messing up what they build with my own logical or illogical thinking.  The product must fit what they want and need, not the other way around.  Remember that.

@Bill_Alexander 

In the Microsoft 365 admin center > Teams & groups > Active teams & groups find the group you created and check the Team status column.

If you open the group that doesn't have a team created, on the General tab there will be a question and a button:

Would you like to add Microsoft Teams to this group?   Add Teams

Click the button and the team will be created.

@Bill_Alexander I noticed adding myself as a member helped, but only after I logged in and out of planner.