Outlook Windows Rules Failure

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am experiencing an Outlook Rules failure. I am using Outlook for Windows/MS365, on Windows 10 Pro. This is a home or personal MS account setup and not a work or educational account. So I can't set Exchange rules.

I used the Rules Wizard from Manage Rules & Alerts to create a rule that deletes mail from messages I receive from a specific sender that have specific words in the sender's email address. I can provide step by step details of this rule if needed. This basic rule is great for controlling spam from a specific address. You don't have to work your way through the spam it should just get deleted.

The issue being - is that the rule does not work. I still receive messages (a lot of them from the spam domain) and they are placed in Junk folder. The rule should just automatically delete them - yes?

If I select the Junk folder to view the mail messages placed in Junk , I can, through Manage Rules & Alerts, select the Rule I created - run it manually - and all those messages in the Junk folder from that sender are deleted. 80% of Junk mail is deleted - the other Junk being Ok to peruse later. So the rule works manually but NOT automatically. 

I have been directly to Microsoft support about this issue and have been passed from the Outlook group to the Outlook Mobile app group, to the Outlook.com server group, to the Windows/App group, and eventually back to the Outlook group. And no one can provide a solution or even answer how Rules work. They have had me delete the rule, re-add using Outlook.com and then Live.com (these are the same to me), delete that and re-add using the Outlook on Windows.

MS support says they will get back to me. They never do - I've been trying for 4 months to bring attention to this issue. To basically get an aswer that says either: Yes the rule should work automatically and the error will be elevated for correction - OR - Rules with 'delete' don't work automatically - - and why - please an explanation as to why. Why be able to create a rule that does not work?

I am sorry for the long post but hopefully with the background it scopes the issue and prevents a lot already tried attempts.

I would appreciate any feedback/help on this issue

Thank you.

1 Reply
Did you ever get a satisfactory response? My experience with rules is that they work most of the time. But there are some exasperating repeated failures that appear to be identical.