Outlook Options not working or saving

Copper Contributor

MS has made some changes to allow users to save Outlook Options in the cloud, which cause Outlook option to randomly change and not save.

File Options.png

So users will see below after update or nothing just the option above selected by default

Outlook Msg.jpeg

This is causing options like below to become unselected, causing send message not to appear in the Sent Items and other random issues

These.jpeg

Or this where message sit in the Outbox not sending until you hit send and receive or exit Outlook

these 1.jpeg

Even with Outlook open these options will change, but mostly when you close and open Outlook.

This setting will also overwrite the registry setting for Outlook, so changing the registry will not help set set options.

I suggest if you are seeing issue with Outlook Options not saving you disable the above.

Come on MS this has wastes my time trying to figure this out and why would you role this out by default without notice?

Hope this helps someone else and saves them some time.

11 Replies

@samble seriously, thank you - this issue has been driving me up the walls.

I am assuming the MS will fix or remove this option, it would be interesting to see how many others have seen this issue?

I have a number of people using a mixture of O365 and 2016/2019 Outlook, and some have the above mentioned option and others don't.

MS seems to love to break perfectly functioning desktop software - in a push to the cloud. I shall resist as much as possible. XD

Big thanks for the informations @samble 

Many thanks for your post, @samble! I tried other solutions like reinstalling outlook but on updating software the failure installed himself again. Did not recognize this checkbox until now :smile:

In my case my mails did not set to "read" automatically after reading a new mail. The option for this feature unsets the checkboxes after restarting outlook every time.

Hey @samble, why is it that my settings are still resetting instantly even though I have disabled the cloud option? I wonder what I am doing wrong! Anybody advise if I should restart my Outlook or what.

Hey @samble, why is it that my settings are still resetting instantly even though I have disabled the cloud option? I wonder what I am doing wrong! Anybody advise if I should restart my Outlook or what.
Yes restart outlook and check again, it worked for me
Unfortunately, this is not working for me @SJashari.

I am looking for a resolve too. My fiance' is a huge Outlook advocate so I switched over to help run our business. I am so frustrated that it keeps reverting to EST from when I lived in NY (now in CST) and it randomly does not save locations when I put them in for him to get to quotes effeciently. Anyone have ideas on how to fix? @samble 

Sounded hopeful but my 'first day of week'/'first week of year' settings keep reverting even now I've unchecked cloud sync. Which is hugely annoying and inconvenient, as the default it reverts to is not ISO 8601 but Sunday/Jan 1st, which makes no sense on this side of the Atlantic.

ETA: Not even after log off-log on. Cloud sync remains turned off, but these Calendar settings are still not saving. Plus, the Outlook setting doesn't even match the Windows regional settings, which are correctly set to Monday.