Outlook / Office 365 - Rules Issue / New Mail Issue

Copper Contributor

Hi There

We are running hybrid exchange with Exchange 2013 / Office 365. I have moved my first mailbox to Office 365 and I am now seeing 2 very strange issues:

1) New mail notification not working on Outlook (running on Windows 11)

Previously, when a new email arrived in the mailbox I'd get the toast notification in the bottom right corner with the sender / preview of the message. Now when an email is received I am not getting this notification / the blue Outlook icon doesn't show the yellow envelope to indicate a new email. I have tried re-creating the Outlook profile, checking the new mail toggle is turned on (which it was) but can't seem to get it working. I don't understand why moving the mailbox to O365 would've caused this behavior but it is the only thing that has changed.

2) Rules not working / sluggish / mismatch between client & server message - I have a small number of rules set against the mailbox. I am finding they are no longer running. When I go into rules I get a message "The rules on the computer do not match the rules on Microsoft Exchange. Only one set of rules can be kept. You will usually want to keep the rules on the server". Then a selection of either client / server.

No matter which option I pick nothing is saved. I can delete all the rules and re-create one. When I go back into 'rules' again, the same message will appear. When I do create one simple rule and run it against the mailbox, it now takes about a minute to run, previous on local Exchange it would take 2 seconds. Is this expected? The rule also doesn't appear to be working when new mail is received. Any idea why the message constantly appears / why rules aren't applying / the time it's taking to run rules ? I have tried running Outlook with the /cleanrules switch to clear them out (it didn't actually clear anything which is odd!).

MS Office is running the latest version.

Thank you for any help

2 Replies
Update. Point 1 is now sorted. Had to do a full office scrub and re-install.

Point 2 is not sorted though. Creating new rules is still giving me the mis-match error each time.

@Andrew_Moore 

Hi Andrew,

Same error (point 2) since yesterday after applying Office 2021 LTSC Client update version 16.0.14332.20358. Rules do not work ; error pop-up with client/server mismatch issue.