Outlook fails to make a connection with Yahoo server after Windows 10 update

Copper Contributor

Windows 10, version 2004 installed 10/30/20 on my computer.  Following this update my Outlook will no longer make a connection to the yahoo.com email server.  Send/receive fails with the following message:

Task 'email address - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) : 'Your email server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings. The server responded: -ERR [SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later.'

I have verified that my Outlook send/receive account settings are the same from before. Any info to fix this would be much appreciated.

5 Replies

@JerraFoster Yahoo removed their "Less secure email app" setting, so you now have to generate and use an "App Specific Password"  This Yahoo article will show how to make and use one:

Generate and manage third-party app passwords

@Hal Hostetler Thank you for the info.  Problem is when I access my Yahoo Account Security page to generate an app password no info populated.  See attachment.

Good hint. My problem has been solved.

This also affects people using Outlook 2010.  It was working fine for ages, but today I had to generate the random password to get Outlook 2010 to work.

@Hal Hostetler 

Thanks this finally worked, I was looking for a solution for 2 days and all I got was my firewall or my antivirus was the culprit. I did not expect this to work, Thanks again.