Outlook Error: "The operation failed..." when selecting Manage Rules & Alerts

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I have problem with me computers, on the one outlook working and rules also, but on two anoder is mestake.

Whare it will be problem?

Best regrads

27 Replies

There is an ongoing issue which matches the description: EX171088 - Unable to manage rules in the Outlook client

Service degradation

User impact:

Users are receiving an error when attempting to manage their rules in the Outlook client.

Latest message:

Title: Unable to manage rules in the Outlook client

User Impact: Users are receiving an error when attempting to manage their rules in the Outlook client.

More info: Users are receiving the following error: 

"The operation failed because of a registry or installation problem. Restart Outlook and try again. If the problem persists, reinstall."

Current status: Our investigation into a viable fix requires a thorough code analysis. We're working to identify an adequate workaround that users can implement while we address the underlying source of the problem.

Scope of impact: Impact is specific to a subset of users who are served through the affected infrastructure.

Start time: Tuesday, December 18, 2018, at 9:32 PM UTC

Preliminary root cause: A recently deployed update introduced a code issue that is causing errors for users while managing their mailbox rules in the Outlook client.

Next update by: Friday, December 21, 2018, at 1:00 AM UTC

Hello,

Thanks for reply.

Marry Christmas:)

Exact same Problem faced by me .. Any solutions yet ?

I am having this same issue.  Outlook 2019 Pro Plus.  I have rules that manage over 200 emails a day in to specific folders.  This is killing me!

The problem is not just I can't manage rules, the rules are no longer working at all. Rules are now completely broken since the last Office 365 update.

@pastordan wrote:

The problem is not just I can't manage rules, the rules are no longer working at all. Rules are now completely broken since the last Office 365 update.

Yes, same here.  I now have to sort over 100 emails each morning to the correct folders manually.

Hello,

understand we all have the same problem with Outlook rules. Microsoft Engineers already know it; just to add some info, in the picture the Error Message and the Outlook build I'm using.

Regards.out.jpg

Yes Same error , Any update from Microsoft yet or any solution ? I tried reinstalling it but failed.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

J'ai le même problème ! Ca devient pénible !!!!!!! Pourquoi il n'y a pas de correctif ???

Same here. When will this be fixed?

Hello ,

after installation the newest update for outlook ,

still not fixed:(

Best regards

MICROSOFT - I PAY A SUBSCRIPTION TO YOURSELVES, last time I checked this didn't not include undoing items which were working perfectly!!

How can you release an update to break the most basic of component, rules managing and creating?  Your website leads to an update which does nothing but states manage it on OWA, I don't use OWA and was quite happy with it working in Outlook.

I'd also like to point out that YOU state I installed an update and it caused the issue, NO NO NO - you released the update and carried out an auto update to cause this problem!!!

No more update dates please - a fix and a fixed by date is what should be issued - I'll give you a hand to fix it, JUST UNDO WHAT BROKE IT!!!!!

I have this massive problem as well.

Totally unreal that it's been nearly a month and nothing has been done by Microsoft.

For heaven's sake MS - fix, this, NOW

Hello, we had the same problem and first made Windows Update and then Outlook Update. Unfortunately, the problem has not been resolved. After a long try, we just updated Word and then updated Word Office and it works again :) Maybe it will help you too. Best regards

Yes, the last office update today fixed the rules issue, finally.

Nope, not for me on Win 10 & Office 2016. All updates are installed and still "The operation failed..." when selecting Manage Rules & Alerts. Stuck in email hell until Microsoft fixes their screwup.

What is the exact version you see when you do File | Office Account?