SOLVED

Outlook error 0x800CCC0E

Copper Contributor

I have been using Microsoft Outlook installed as part of Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2019 for several years with no problems based on the following settings:

Account Type:                        IMAP

Incoming mail server:              imap.aol.com           Port 993       Encryption method SSL/TLS*

Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.aol.com           Port 465       Encryption method SSL/TLS*

*only other options are None, STARTTLS or Auto

AOL recommended settings are:

Protocol    Server Settings                         Port Settings

IMAP        Incoming mail server (IMAP): imap.aol.com
 Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.aol.com IMAP-993-SSL
SMTP-465-SSL

Suddenly a little while ago my emails stopped downloading in Microsoft Outlook with this error message:

Task ‘karenl823@aol.com: Folder: Inbox Check for new mail.' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot download folder Inbox from the IMAP email server for account karenl823@aol.com. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).’

I can successfully download the emails on my phone and I can access them online by logging in emails on AOL.com (so I know I have the email address and password correct) but I can no longer get them to download in Microsoft Outlook.

Thinking it was only a temporary problem I left it a few days but I still have the same problem. I have browsed online and since tried the following remedies:

1.Repair option in Outlook (says it cannot connect to the server)

2.Turning off anti-virus and firewall software (same Outlook error message reported)

3.Changed from Outgoing Server Port 465 to 25, 467 and 587but none works saying ‘We couldn’t log on to the incoming (IMAP) server’.

4.On File\Account Settings\Account Settings\More Options on the Outgoing Server tab, I ticked My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication, then OK and Next but it failed with errors:

‘Log onto incoming mail server (IMAP): The server rejected your logon. Verify that your user name and password are correct’ (which they are correct)

‘Send test email message: Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance’.

5.Turned off Email Scanning in Anti Virus (same Outlook error message)

6.Totally uninstalled Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2019 and reinstalled but same Outlook error message

7.Created new Profile in Outlook called TEST with my email address but after the configuring stage it errors saying:

‘An encrypted connection to your mail server is not available. Click Next to attempt using an unencrypted connection’.

I then clicked Next to try unencrypted connection but errored again saying:

We’re sorry, we couldn’t set up your account automatically. To try setting up the account yourself, click Next.

I then clicked Next to try and set up Manually, selecting ‘POP or IMAP’ with IMAP server settings as above but it ‘Failed’ saying:

‘Log onto incoming mail server (IMAP): The connection to the server failed.

Send test email message: Cannot send the message. Verify the email address in your account properties.  The server responded: 554 Email rejected’

8.I then bought third party Outbyte software costing £24.95 that reported it could fix Microsoft Outlook error message 0x800CCC0E or they guaranteed your money back. I paid, download and ran the software, then the repair but still I have the same problem in Outlook with error message 0x800CCC0E. (Now also having a battle to get my money back!).

I am really out of my depth and hope someone may be able to help (but using idiot proof terms please!!!).

Thanks

16 Replies

Hi @KarenL823 ,

Please go through with the below link, which might help to fix your issue.

https://www.article.msoutlooktools.com/howto/how-to-fix-microsoft-outlook-error-code-0x800ccc0e.html 

Thank you,

Regards,

MD

Thank you but it hasn't worked!
I had already done the above but have done it again but still emails won't download.
Karen

Hi @KarenL823 

Have you followed the correct steps as shown in the below link?

https://help.aol.com/articles/how-do-i-use-other-email-applications-to-send-and-receive-my-aol-mail 

Hi

Yes as far as I am able to (I'm not experienced like you) but done my best!

I've tried all manner of things I found on Goggle but nothing worked.

I tried changing the port numbers that were suggested on the first answer but no luck.

It has worked for years so I don't understand why it has stopped as I haven't changed any settings??

Sorry if what I am saying doesn't make sense to you!!

Thanks
Karen

I have the exact same problem as @KarenL823.  It started 2 days ago.  The problem only persists on my laptop.  I can access my yahoo.com account email through either Yahoo or the Outlook app on my phone.  Has anyone figured out what has caused this and the remedy.  I too have not changed the settings and have had no issues for several years.

@KarenL823 

I have (had, hopefully) the same problem.  I think I found the answer.  A while back, AOL went to a process where you have to log onto the AOL.com website and (under your account security settings) have it generate a random password for 3rd party apps (like Outlook) to sign in to your account.  So you don't actually put your real password into Outlook for your AOL email account.  When you get to the password input screen, you copy & paste the randomly generated password from AOL.com.

Hope this helps!

best response confirmed by KarenL823 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Oh this is brilliant, thank you so much! This has worked for me and at last my emails are working thanks to King_Joey, you are a star!!!

I did also get a private message from MDadarkar asking to connect to my laptop with Team Viewer but sorry, I wasn’t comfortable with that.

Thanks you again for sorting my problem.
Karen

@KarenL823  Are you and King_Joey both on aol?  I use sbcglobal (which is AT&T).  I don't see the same fix opportunity that you mentioned.

Hi there
I use AOL and thanks to King_Joey was able to solve this problem but I'm sorry I can't help with your problem. Hopefully King_Joey wull be able to help. He sure solved my problem!!
Thanks
KarenL823
Thank you. I think I solved it, and your prior response was a good clue. For anyone else on yahoo who is stumped on this, you basically have to go into your profile on att.com and not in yahoo. You login and go to your profile. Then got to signin info - secure mail key - manage secure mail keys. You create a key here. You take that token and then go yo you outlook and put that token in as your password. I kept my yahoo imap and smtp, but others have said it worked for them to change these to att.net vs. yahoo (that failed for me however). So far so good.
Thank you! You've solved a problem I've been having for days now!

@King_Joey   Oh MY GOOODNESS!!!!  Thank you so much for posting this.  I have been dealing with this for a month.  Finally deleted the AOL account from Outlook, which in turn deleted my folders :( and tried to reinstall.  Still wouldn't work.  

Came across your solution, and my problem was solved in five minutes.  Back up and running AOL on Outlook!

Thank you, thank you!!! 

Hi King_Joey, Just curious if you have a fix for using Outlook thru comcast.net? I haven't been able to get mail on my outlook unless I'm using my phone since May :(

@ch075l Since I got my new laptop I am having issues with using Outlook for my comcast.net email as well.  It's not my .pst as this is just newly setup.  Does any one have any suggestions?  I am only able to receive my email on my phone.  Which is not efficient.

I know this is an older thread, but I thought I would mention this incase it helps someone else.

I am not sure if was just a fluke for me, but twice now I have had this issue on 2 work machines.  Both times after trying countless things to fix it, all I had to do was manually type in the password again.  After that, everything worked. (either from the authentication dialog box or the account settings).

It is weird because the passwords on these accounts haven't changed, but maybe there is some kind of timeout feature if the password doesn't get manually entered in X amount of time ?

I would be curious if this works for anyone else.

Yes, my Outlook account was "locked" for some reason, and when it came back, I couldn't get Yahoo account to work on it again. I had to go into ATT account and change the Secure Key to a new one (easy to do, follow ATT directions in your profile), and then enter the yahoo account as a new email, and it uploaded it automatically, did not have to change IMAP settings or anything. SO...the key to solving this problem is changing the Secure Key in your ATT profile. Bingo. Btw, this was not required on my Iphone.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by KarenL823 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Oh this is brilliant, thank you so much! This has worked for me and at last my emails are working thanks to King_Joey, you are a star!!!

I did also get a private message from MDadarkar asking to connect to my laptop with Team Viewer but sorry, I wasn’t comfortable with that.

Thanks you again for sorting my problem.
Karen

View solution in original post