Outlook 365 for Mac - MS Teams button is missing

Copper Contributor

Outlook for Mac version: 16.35 (Production)

Although button for Skype for business and Webex exist in my Outlook 365, MS teams does not. With the COVID-19 working from home situation, my company is using Teams and I cannot set up a meeting because neither the Teams button exist in Outlook nor Teams for Mac support the function to set up a meeting ... Lockdown

References I found talk about the button being available from version 16.20, which is not true in my case (https://support.office.com/en-us/article/teams-meeting-button-is-missing-in-outlook-for-mac-0d6608c7...). According to this page, you need REST calendar sync, which I may not have. My permission window in Calendar permission does have check boxes which indicates that my account may not use REST. Is this something provided by the server? Should I refer to my Company IT who maintain my email account on the server?

Your help will be appreciated. 

Regards,

27 Replies

@AKISUAE 

I have the very same problem. Could anyone @Microsoft be of help?

@AKISUAE also have the same problem, some colleagues have teams in their ribbon and others don't. Some advice from Microsoft would be appreciated.

I have exactly the same problem and my IT guy told me that we should try install again the outlook but it will just be a try as he was not able to find any solution. The page speaking about it it's not clear about REST on how we could guarantee that we have it in our MAC. I have a colleague that have, but he just purchase a new Mac and install everything from scratch.

For me it's crazy to not have a simple number to call as Apple have and speak with someone that could help us@AKISUAE 

@AKISUAE 

We're having the exact same issue here.  My mailbox is currently in the cloud but I have other users that are not in the cloud with the same issue.  We're all on version 16.35 and the button to create a Teams meeting in Outlook 2019 for Mac is not there.  It does show in OWA, however.

Any help would be appreciated.

@AKISUAE I was able to resolve this today.  Your mailbox has to be in the cloud and Outlook has to be using an O365 subscription license.  Outlook 2019 on a Mac has to be on v16.20 or higher.  I had initially installed Outlook using a volume serial license.  This will not work.  Microsoft has a volume license removal tool:  https://support.office.com/en-us/article/how-to-remove-office-license-files-on-a-mac-b032c0f6-a431-4...

If you run that and then log back into Outlook, the Create Teams button is there.

I have a brand new macbook air 2020. I have installed everything from scratch and removed the license over and over again without any result. Why cant the MS teams button just show in Outlook for mac like any other communication tool? Why is this so difficult and why does Microsoft doesnt show a resolution for this problem? I cant send anyone a teams invite now from outlook what the whole puropse is of having MS teams..

MMicrosoft support is calling me for 3 weeks now trying to solve the problem but so dar they haven't been able to do so. A huge saga...@Artur77 

@AKISUAE - We have the same issue. Part of the team has Teams in the Outlook ribbon bar, part does not. Have gone through every available troubleshooting resource and then some with regard to versions of Outlook (16.38), removed and reinstalled both Outlook and Teams, no disabled plug-ins, etc... Webex, Zoom, and everything else appears.... You'd think they would at least make sure their own product did as well.  

Anyone had any luck getting it reconciled? 

Nothing yet. I'm now it more than 2 months with Microsoft support with 3 or 4 different guys at different levels and still no solution in the horizon. It is really stupid that 2 products from the same supplier are not able to work well while the other ones can. Very strange and their support is not able to fix it.

I’ve had the same problem for ages. Our organisation uses Exchange on prem rather than 0365. The crazy thing is that everything is fine if I use a PC but if I use my Mac then no go - no teams button.

Microsoft seemingly don’t give a **bleep** which is incredibly frustrating. They could make it work but obviously have no intention of doing so as they want everyone using 365 not on prem installations.

@AKISUAE 

I have the same issue, while team meeting button works fine on my other laptop device running windows 10 outlook. 

@AKISUAE 

It's the same with me - already used the volume removal tool to no avail. The Outlook UI just changed when moving to O365 version, but the MS team plug-in is still missing from the calendar ribbon.

I had the same issue for a period of time. I removed the license from an old contract first and restarted. Then I noticed that in Mac you need to go to the Calendar tab at the bottom and then click the meeting button and you will see the Teams add-in.  It's more hidden than the windows version. @maenardm2020 

I've tried removing old licenses 3-4 times using the license removal tool and also completely deleted and reinstalled all MS Office apps 3-4 times and still getting nowhere!  Nothing I do seems to be able to get Teams and Outlook to integrate via the desktop apps. I have to do everything via the web apps and my Teams calendar does sync with my Outlook calendar at all :(

Why can't Microsoft make everything in the same suite integrate seamlessly on Mac??

@AKISUAE I have a solution. Close your teams and outlook. Than on your mac search for the terminal and copy the following text in there:

curl -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pbowden-msft/MobileConfigs/master/Outlook/Coerce-Outlook-REST-Sync... profiles install -path Coerce-Outlook-REST-Sync.mobileconfig

Press enter.

Now start outlook and the button should be there.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftTeams/comments/beoh1a/fix_teams_meeting_plugin_for_outlook_on_mac/

This is driving me mad too - i've taken to using zoom and google meetings which is annoying given i should be able to use teams.  Also i can't add Zoom directly through outlook as i use a google straight through log on with zoom. When i try the add in using outlook, it asks me for email and pw for zoom, which i then add my google log on details and it tells me it's wrong. i have tried changing log on details through zoom (can't) and if i try creating another account- it obviously won't let me reuse my email account... ahhhh! feeling trapped in tech! any help appreciated @Kawasakikas 

I've the same problem as everybody. Don't seem to find any offer of solution.

@AKISUAE hi you all, maybe you have by now fixed it, but for all people joining in to this topic recently. The fix for me was really simple:

1. close down outlook and teams

2. start teams first

3. start outlook

et voila, the button has magically appeared!

please note: I did download the latest version of the office 365 apps onto my laptop (macbook pro 2015, Catalina 10.15.7)

@JNPOST 

Hi, this post was so promising. Unfortunately it doesn't work on my Mac.

Got the latest version of both MOS as well as 365. Still see only the Skype...