outllok pst and backup

Copper Contributor

Some years ago I could not repair pst files and It was not easy to back up and restore the pst files of outlook.  Does The outlook 365 improve to resolve this issue??

3 Replies

@hernando82 

I agree - the move to Outlook 365 has been a major step forward for email reliability compared to old PST files. Microsoft 365 really shines by handling most of the complexity behind-the-scenes. For one, backups are now fully automated in the cloud, no more worrying about local PST management. Additionally, your mail is available anywhere through the web browser, rather than stuck to one machine and corrupted file.

Recovery also becomes much smoother with Microsoft support able to pull emails from cloud backups as needed. Restoring big PST files was never fun. Cloud mailboxes can scale up as much as you want. Last but not least, all that redundancy across data centers gives great peace of mind against downtime. In general, Outlook 365 offers big improvements in protecting email availability through automated cloud backups and anywhere access. It really takes the headache out of backup/restore. On-prem PST files definitely seem antiquated by comparison.

As an administrator, I still leverage an extra layer of backup protection (nakivo) for my organization, but Outlook 365 itself is lightyears ahead.

@BarryGoblonThanks for your answer.

I am still confuse.

I bought the 365 Microsoft subscription but it is not the online outlook. I understand have the pst local files.

I live in a big city but my future plans is to going to live in my rural farm. The internet connection is  very bad, so I need to be able to work without internet. My subscription lead to work in Excel, Word, and see my olds email and write a reply without internet. Then I will connect and to send the emails. I like this way.

I understand the online outlook does not let you do it?

With my actual subscription, Do I have my pst files backup in the cloud?

@hernando82 Firstly, with your current Microsoft 365 subscription that uses local PST files, you can indeed work offline using the Outlook desktop app. This setup allows you to operate in Excel and Word without an internet connection, ensuring productivity even in areas with poor connectivity.

To safeguard your data, my first recommendation is to take advantage of Outlook's Import/Export feature to manually back up your local PST files to the cloud. This ensures that your valuable data remains secure and accessible. Outlook 365 offers automated online backups for your mailbox data, providing an additional layer of protection. This feature helps safeguard your information without requiring manual intervention. Outlook 365 allows you to work seamlessly offline with local PST files. You can compose emails, review messages, and make changes offline. Once connected, Outlook will automatically synchronize your offline work with the cloud.

Considering your reliance on offline work and limited internet access, I recommend to activate the Offline Outlook feature to work seamlessly without an internet connection and to schedule regular backups of your local PST files to the cloud, ensuring that your data is consistently protected. To keep an eye on your internet data usage, especially when connecting to send emails, to avoid exceeding data plan limits and to explore options like OneDrive or Dropbox to sync your local PST files with the cloud, allowing access from multiple devices.