SOLVED

Master Contact Form Location - Resolved

Copper Contributor

I want to edit the contacts form in Outlook 365 using the developer but I need to know where the original is stored so I can make a backup in case.  Does anyone know where it is stored?

4 Replies

@Philfy 

The master contact form in Outlook 365 is stored in a system file called "Outlook Item Template" or "OFT" file. The default location of this file varies depending on your operating system and Outlook version.

For Outlook 365, the master contact form template (OFT file) is typically stored in the following location:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\OfficeXX\FORMS

Replace "XX" with the version number of your Office installation, such as "16" for Office 2016 or "17" for Office 2019. Please note that this path may vary based on your specific setup.

To create a backup of the master contact form template, you can simply copy the OFT file from the FORMS directory to a secure location, such as a backup folder on your computer or a network drive.

Please exercise caution when modifying system files, and it is recommended to create a backup before making any changes.

All I have in there is a folder called 2057. I have no idea how it was all set up, is there anything I can search for in the search box?

Thank you
best response confirmed by Philfy (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Philfy 

You can try searching for it using the search box in File Explorer.

Follow these steps:

1. Open File Explorer on your computer.

2. In the search box located at the top-right corner of the File Explorer window, enter "*.oft" (without quotes) and press Enter.

This search pattern will look for all files with the .oft file extension.

3. Wait for the search results to populate. It may take a few moments depending on the size of your system and the search settings.

4. Review the search results to find the OFT file associated with the master contact form. The file name might be "Contact.oft" or something similar.

5. Once you locate the OFT file, you can right-click on it, select "Copy," and paste it to a safe location as a backup.

If the search does not yield any results, it's possible that the master contact form template is stored in a different location or has been modified in a way that it cannot be easily found. In such cases, it may be best to consult with your organization's IT support or a knowledgeable Outlook administrator who can provide you with more specific guidance based on your setup.

Hi, thank you no luck but thank you for your help. The IT guy for the charity wasn't much use at all, lol.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Philfy (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Philfy 

You can try searching for it using the search box in File Explorer.

Follow these steps:

1. Open File Explorer on your computer.

2. In the search box located at the top-right corner of the File Explorer window, enter "*.oft" (without quotes) and press Enter.

This search pattern will look for all files with the .oft file extension.

3. Wait for the search results to populate. It may take a few moments depending on the size of your system and the search settings.

4. Review the search results to find the OFT file associated with the master contact form. The file name might be "Contact.oft" or something similar.

5. Once you locate the OFT file, you can right-click on it, select "Copy," and paste it to a safe location as a backup.

If the search does not yield any results, it's possible that the master contact form template is stored in a different location or has been modified in a way that it cannot be easily found. In such cases, it may be best to consult with your organization's IT support or a knowledgeable Outlook administrator who can provide you with more specific guidance based on your setup.

View solution in original post