Onedrive for Mac causes the Mac to hang

Copper Contributor

Every time I open onedrive on my mac, the system gets too slow and starts to hang. When i checked the activity monitor an app called fileproviderd is using up all the CPU. A google search revealed that the fileproviderd app used with cloud syncing applications. Is there a fix for this.

1 Reply

@hsined 

Experiencing system slowdowns and hangs when using OneDrive on your Mac, with the fileproviderd process consuming high CPU usage, can be frustrating. While I don't have access to specific information about your system or the version of OneDrive you're using, I can provide you with some general troubleshooting steps that may help resolve the issue:

1. Update OneDrive: Ensure that you have the latest version of OneDrive installed on your Mac. Microsoft frequently releases updates to address bugs and improve performance. Open the App Store on your Mac, go to the "Updates" tab, and check for any available updates for OneDrive. Install them if there are any.
  2. Check file synchronization: OneDrive syncs files between your Mac and the cloud. Large or numerous files can potentially cause performance issues. Open the OneDrive app preferences and review your sync settings. You can try pausing the sync temporarily to see if it improves system performance. Then, resume syncing and monitor if the issue reoccurs with certain files.
  3. Reset OneDrive: Resetting OneDrive can sometimes resolve syncing issues. To do this, close the OneDrive app, open the "Applications" folder, and find the OneDrive app. Right-click on it and choose "Show Package Contents." Open the "Contents" folder and run the "ResetOneDriveApp.command" file. This will reset OneDrive to its default settings.
  4. Reinstall OneDrive: If the issue persists, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling OneDrive. Completely removing and reinstalling the app can help fix any corrupted files or settings. First, close the OneDrive app. Then, drag the OneDrive app from the "Applications" folder to the trash. Empty the trash to remove the app completely. Finally, download and install the latest version of OneDrive from the official Microsoft website.
  5. Contact Microsoft Support: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it's recommended to reach out to Microsoft Support directly. They can provide you with specific assistance and guidance based on your system configuration and OneDrive version.

Remember to always keep your Mac's operating system up to date as well, as macOS updates can also address compatibility and performance issues.

*The text was created by the AI