Syncing Outlook Notes to IOS

Copper Contributor

Hi all - I'm not sure if this is even the right place to ask such questions, but I'm having issues syncing Outlook notes to IOS devices.

This is on an office 365 service, where I am using office 365 on PCs, and also the office 365 apps on various IOS devices.

I have set up the office 365 email addresses in iphone and ipad devices.

When setting them up, I ticked the option to sync notes (it is switched on).

What I am finding is that on one Ipad, this is working correctly (Outlook account appears in the notes application on IOS device, and notes are correctly syncing).

However on all iphone devices, the outlook account does not appear in the IOS notes app - i.e. it does not exist at all.

At first I thought this functionality might have been deprecated or something, but as mentioned above, it's working fine on the ipad which is on the same IOS version.

I've tried deleting the account and re-installing, and I've tried installing the outlook client on the IOS device but neither made any difference.

One other odd thing I noted is that if I switch the notes sync off, and then reboot the IOS device, it switches itself on again, even though it's not actually working properly.

TIA for any help

12 Replies
Hi @Javert1969,

Ok managed to do this successfully.

The Outlook app for IOS does not sync notes currently - there is a uservoice with lots of votes for it here

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Outlook/Outlook-Notes-and-mobile-devices/td-p/86539

So, on the IOS device go to Settings > Passwords and Accounts > Add Account and sync just the notes (if you are using the Outlook app for mail, calendar, etc). Then it should sync.

In my case I created a note after in Outlook on the local machine, and then on IOS to make sure they synced to each other.

Hope that answers your question

Best, Chris

On the IOS

@Christopher Hoard 

Hi Chris - thanks - I think I actually found my issue although it wasn't at all clear.

I had set up my office 365 account using the "outlook.com" setup option in the iphone settings, rather than the "Exchange" option.

If you do this it lets you switch on the option to sync notes, but it doesn't work, although all other items do work correctly.

If I set up using the exchange option, now it starts working correctly even for notes.

The only concern is that when I do it this way, I get the warning that the remote exchange admin can manage my phone - I don't think that's true is it unless the setup installs some kind of further security certificate?  If I'm just using a normal consumer office 365 subscription, MS cannot "manage" my iphone or see my location or wipe my phone etc?

Not per say, via activesync protocol the can wipe corporate data and enforce pin! But nothing you need to worry about

@Javert1969 

Hi,

If you are using the built-in mail app on your iPhone and setting up your Office 365 mailbox via Exchange ActiveSync, the Notes from Office 365 mail Exchange Online server can be synced to your iPhone.

However, if you set up your Office 365 mailbox on to the iPhone via POP or IMAP, the Note will not sync from Office 365 mail server to your iPhone.

Additionally, if you set up your Office 365 account into the Outlook for iOS, I'd suggest you contact the in-app support of Outlook for iOS for dedicated assistance since this forum mainly focuses on Office 365 Business Online services.

Regards,

Akshay

System Admin - O365CloudExperts 

@Javert1969 The way I managed this to work was by installing another app called OneNote and login with your 0365 account same as Outlook app and click on the sticky notes option and I could see all my notes.

@Upraj7  Thank youuuuu!!! We have Intune and with our MAM policy, OneNote is included so we can again access the Notes since Outlook for some reason doesn't have this feature.

Glad it worked for you ! :)

@dlinds565 thank you!! your old post spared me from further angst...it was driving me crazy that after our office upgraded to office 365, my notes just would not come over to my iphone NOTES app. Installing OneNote did it! 

Thank You, Glad it worked :)

@dlinds565 But is it the same notes from the Outlook app? or is it like just simply 
"sticky" notes from like your WIN machine?

https://statics.teams.cdn.office.net/evergreen-assets/safelinks/1/atp-safelinks.html

I see recommendation to go "other" path in adding mail accounts fyi :)