How to pack and deploy .net framework along with an MSIX package created for .net 3.5 application

Copper Contributor

@John Vintzel

I would like to know, how to add the .net frame work dependency to the MSIX package. I am creating an MSIX package for a .net 3.5 application, but I would like to know how to install the .net 3.5 framework as prerequisite to my MSIX package, so that the application runtime won't throw any error related to .net frame work dependency.  

6 Replies

Hi, you declare the dependency in the package manifest. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/uwp/schemas/appxpackage/uapmanifestschema/element-dependencies

What type of .net 3.5 framework are you using? Do you know if this version can be published through the Store?  

Right now we only support .Net that is packaged as framework packages.  The older frameworks that are feature on demand need to be installed via DISM

Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 

If you downloaded the FOD you can add the path to the source to the comand line.  This is good feedback to for us to look into addressing possibly in the OS or via tools like SCCM.

John.

@John Vintzel  : Thanks for the reply.

However, I would like to know how can I configure to execute the DISM command during the msix package installation. 

Are you saying to execute the DISM command manually before installing the msix package? 

That's correct.  We don't install the features on demand as part of app deployment at this time.  It is something we might look at longer term, but its lower on our backlog at this time.  Ideally newer apps move to MSIX frameworks and those are supported for dependency deployment.  

John.

Hi @John Vintzel any news on that one? is it possible already to have one of windows feature as prerequisite during MSIX deployment? such as "Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3"?

@giladke Nothing planned to link DISM features to MSIX installations.  You could add it to the ideas section as a potential item for consideration.  Of course in this scenario your app may now require elevation to install, as required by DISM.  

John Vintzel (@jvintzel)
Program Manager Lead, MSIX