What is the Expected Behaviour of Interop?

Copper Contributor

Hello Community

I am doing some testing for a client to try and get to a point where interop works as expected. However, repeated tests yield different results, so I am confused as what the expected experience should be.

Summary

• Skype for Business OnPrem with Hybrid configured
  • Chat & Meeting users in Teams Only mode
  • SfB EV users in Teams Islands Mode

When initiating a chat from the Skype client to a Teams only user we experience 2 different interop results

1. Chat is sent from skype client and received in Teams client. The Teams user is told that the person is a Skype user and to continue their conversation link at the bottom appears. After that is clicked, the conversation moves to a Teams to Teams chat, and the Skype user gets the reply in their Teams client.

2. The same setup scenario, but the Teams Only user does not get the "continue this conversation in Teams" link and the chat box is activated. At this point the response is received to the Skype user's Skype client with limited functionality

Both times, both clients where logged in at the same time on the same code version. 

What is the expected experience supposed to be? Personally, I prefer scenario 1, but it seems random selection right now as to which experience is chosen.

What has your experience been?

2 Replies

Hi @mark83 

This article in TechNet should explain the questions you ask https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/migration-interop-guidance-for-teams-with-skype

That said, as to your experience regarding two different outcomes the explanation could be that if you initiate contact with a Skype user from a Teams group chat, this implies a Teams conference thereby routing the Skype client to the Teams conferencing experience(as he cannot take part in a Teams conference with his Skype client).

Don't know if this makes sense?

It's all based on the endpoint Upgrade mode. Teams Only always should receive skype and Teams initiated into Teams. Islands will receive it based on which client initiated. And Skype Only should always route to Skype.

You scenario seems odd. Are both senders sending to the same user and both set with same upgrade modes? Did you just switch someone's upgrade mode recently? If so may be cache issue (sign out/in to clear?).

And could be a bug. I noticed some strange things with this particular interop scenario when they released Native 2.0 federation, so you might end up into a Ticket situation, but I recommend, not having Islands at all, and setting Skype users to one of the Skype modes, and Teams people to Teams. Islands really causes a stink when it comes to Interop.