SOLVED

Teams Video call Custom Backgrounds - Release date?

Iron Contributor

Hi,

Is there a release date for Teams custom backgrounds for use on video calls?

It was announced earlier this year with a release date of "later this year" but I've seen nothing more concrete since?

Thanks

Paul

55 Replies

I've not seen any date and it is not on the roadmap, but it should be released soon since Microsoft is showing it so often. I guess early next year.

best response confirmed by PJR_CDF (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Not currently. It was demoed as early back as March 2019 so there are a lot of asks for it

The guys at Regarding 365 recently did an update on it which may be worth watching

https://regarding365.com/365-unplugged-custom-backgrounds-in-microsoft-teams-91ac5cc44668

Would recommend keeping an eye on the Microsoft 365 roadmap, as well as Teams Uservoice.

Hope that answers your question

Best, Chris

Hi all,

Has anyone seen any updates on this?

@Jorge Carvalho No, no update yet. Many people are asking about this so I think Microsoft should release it soon or stop promoting it as a cool feature coming "soon". 

Can't be a big step from where we are today which is the ability to blur the background.
fingers-crossed! massive jump in demand for Teams, and my users are also looking at other options like Zoom - which does have some very nice features like the grid-view of videos... it feels like the Teams app does not handle video in an industry-standard way, compared to products like Zoom or AdobeConnect.

I was on a call with a Microsoft person and he had it (but not everyone in MS does). So it's at least released in their tenant somewhere!

@samhegarty 

You should have asked him to send you that version :) 

would like to see these updates as well... looking for privacy features for business. 

@Ian Caldwell, MSc 

I too would like to follow and see a release date@PJR_CDF 

It is already next year , "soon" has passed but still waiting.
Now that covid-19 forced millions to work agile,
it is essential to have something more professional than blur ...

Is there a user voice piece we can vote up to accelerate this release? @GVidalis 

My experience of seeing it is that it's more gimmicky than anything else. The quality of it makes it more amusing than it does practical.

If I think about all the feature request i'd like to see, this would actually be well down my list. Perhaps the above it why it hasn't come out yet.

In the meantime, the blurred background has been really effective in my organsiation. People feel much better about jumping on video when they realise what's behind them can't be seen.

Given the current COVID19 push of everyone on remote work and the average state of the home office...Could Microsoft Pretty Please Push this one teeny tiny tweak to the top of JIRA.....@PJR_CDF 

@Faiza Qadri Thank you , hope MS releases the features the soonest possible 
Keep Safe !

I'm hoping this arrives soon especially these days with more remote workers!

@PJR_CDF 

Ok what is the problem here... 25 k views and only 6 likes... ok 7 likes including mine.

Come on MS your users want this, I want to be on the Cruise that got cancelled, I want to be mingling with friends in fact, I want backgrounds that I can tailor so please... either your 25 k counter is skewed or your how to LIKE is too hard to log into?

This one is a no brainer! please MS - come and party on the cruise I did not go on via backgrounds.

Much love... we love your product - Lenka Boorer

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by PJR_CDF (Iron Contributor)
Solution
Not currently. It was demoed as early back as March 2019 so there are a lot of asks for it

The guys at Regarding 365 recently did an update on it which may be worth watching

https://regarding365.com/365-unplugged-custom-backgrounds-in-microsoft-teams-91ac5cc44668

Would recommend keeping an eye on the Microsoft 365 roadmap, as well as Teams Uservoice.

Hope that answers your question

Best, Chris

View solution in original post