SOLVED

Teams Media Connectivity Flows

Iron Contributor

1. Is there an snooper equivalent for Teams which can show what candidate were build and finally which ones were used, i know there is one on github trickle ice  or to use test webrtc options and does work a bit but not sure if it is applicable for teams.exe

2. If not is there a way today to find all these details using any other tool as of today

3. I know CQD report does show these details but that is for reporting

4. I need a way to able to trace live sessions these connectivity flows for end to end understanding and to be able to provide correct details to my network team

5. If there is a cloud proxy service which controls all http traffic

6. UDP is allowed for specific scenarios only like not is corpnet but when in VPN

7. Does Media traffic in Teams works differently for P2P and Conferencing

8. When in Conferencing does all media traffic also goes through Teams Server(s)

9. Why does teams have so many instances running on the same machine,

2 Replies
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Hello @Himanshu Singh 

Have you had an opportunity to view this documentation which I believe answers most of you questions? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/microsoft-teams-online-call-flows

What's not answered above:

1. How to see client candidates during call setup for troubleshooting media path while working with network team. 

There is nothing native built into the client that will allow this like Skype for Business tracing tools read with Snooper. However, you can view the candidates for an outbound call from the Teams client via an HTTPs trace. The easiest way to accomplish this is use developer tools (F12) in Microsoft Edge browser (or Chrome) to view network trace during outbound call. Then search on renegotiate and expand the response for the Media Content;. The blog data will contain the SDP information. MediaContentSDP.png

Copy the contents of the blob and paste in text editor; my preference is Visual Studio Code. Note I have had some people report this doesn't always work so perhaps something on network preventing connecting to our service where the negotiation is happening. 

2. Why are there so many processes for Teams? Each process is handling a specific workload. It's the way it's designed. 

Hello @Carolyn Blanding,

Well this is only possible and true sessions involving media that too when web based teams client is in use,

What about Desktop version ???
does ctrl+alt+shift=1 show all of these details i doubt
also what about sip signalling ?
how to trace and conclude what route client is taking to reach a specific destination
especially in complex scenarios like following

companyA - has hybrid deployment majority of users are now teamsonly and very few on SFB on-premises

companyB - not sure what is there deployment status now however one this is sure both have on-premises SFB infra and has setup federation (on-premises SFB federation is in place)

However as and one companyA shutsdown there SFB Edge no federation chat is not possible anymore , even for TeamsOnly users to which experts from both confirmed should work fine even when on-premises infra is not available,

This could be easily diagnosed if such tools and capabilities are available

BR,
/HS
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Hello @Himanshu Singh 

Have you had an opportunity to view this documentation which I believe answers most of you questions? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/microsoft-teams-online-call-flows

What's not answered above:

1. How to see client candidates during call setup for troubleshooting media path while working with network team. 

There is nothing native built into the client that will allow this like Skype for Business tracing tools read with Snooper. However, you can view the candidates for an outbound call from the Teams client via an HTTPs trace. The easiest way to accomplish this is use developer tools (F12) in Microsoft Edge browser (or Chrome) to view network trace during outbound call. Then search on renegotiate and expand the response for the Media Content;. The blog data will contain the SDP information. MediaContentSDP.png

Copy the contents of the blob and paste in text editor; my preference is Visual Studio Code. Note I have had some people report this doesn't always work so perhaps something on network preventing connecting to our service where the negotiation is happening. 

2. Why are there so many processes for Teams? Each process is handling a specific workload. It's the way it's designed. 

View solution in original post