Microsoft Teams cache in a non-persistent environment

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

My name is Koen and I am working with Microsoft Teams in a Dutch government organization. We like to offer our staff the ability to work from home, especially during the COVID-19 crisis. 

We already have enrolled Microsoft Teams in our desktop (it came out of nowhere and we are replacing the default web-downloader with the MSI file)

For the record: We are using a non-persistent environment with VMWare Horizon Client and thin clients in the office, and mostly the web client when users are working from home.

All of our users are having a profile where we store the temp files like caches and stuff. Also %AppData% is located in that profile. This data is presistent and will be availible on every boot, when they authenticate. But, we are looking for a way to change the Microsoft Teams cache location. We have limited disk space on the 'profile' disk. 

The problem is, that Microsoft Teams uses the folder %AppData%\Microsoft\Teams\Service Worker\CacheStorage as location of some caching files. The size of the folder is at least 200MB, and some other users are having a folder with at least 500MB cache. 

We have 200+ users, so when I calculate this ( 200(users)x200(MB) : 40.000MB/40GB for only the smallest caches. And the profile disk is only 100GB (for example)

This is why we want to replace (or totally disable) the cache.

I already looked in the newest Administrative Templates (for Office 365, 2016 and 2019) and the desktop-config.json - but I can't find the right way to do this.

Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

5 Replies

@khollandervrzw 

Hello.

you need to exclude folders from roaming profile:

Application Data\Microsoft\Teams\Application Cache

Application Data\Microsoft\Teams\Cache

Application Data\Microsoft\Teams\blob_storage

Application Data\Microsoft\Teams\databases

Application Data\Microsoft\Teams\Indexeddb

Application Data\Microsoft\Teams\Local Storage

Application Data\Microsoft\Teams\tmp

Application Data\Microsoft\Teams\Service Worker\CacheStorage

Application Data\Microsoft\Teams\Service Worker\ScriptCache

@khollandervrzw 

To work around the issue probably a batch job or a power shell script on logoff, as per the blog and it would also help in cleanup.

https://albandrodsmemory.wordpress.com/2019/01/04/microsoft-teams-how-to-clean-cache/

Thanks,

Jagz

@oleksiiboldyriev @khollandervrzw    Did excluding all of these cache folders work for you, how was performance after the changes?

@MJZ1313 @ all...  Is there any information about this ?

We fight with the same problem User Profile Disks filling up.

Kind Regards!

Four years late but still might be useful for others.
I solved the issue by creating symlinks to folders outside of the profile for
1 - %appdata%\Teams
2 - %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams
With a bit of creativity you can do this with a login script like:
1- Check if new destination exist, if yes skip
2 - Move above folders to new location
3 - Create symlinks