SOLVED

Microsoft stream - Only recording sound and not recording screen share

Microsoft

Hi.

I tried to record a meeting but it only recorded the audio and people's teams photos/any live webcam footage people were sharing. It did not capture screen sharing of a presentation.

Can this be fixed?

Thanks

33 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

That is an active incident reported in the Message Center, started yesterday. ID TM207532

Title: Recorded meetings not capturing screensharing

User Impact: Users may notice that screensharing isn't being captured in Microsoft Teams meeting recordings.

Current status: We're continuing to attempt to reproduce the issue in a controlled environment. Additionally we're reviewing processing usage on the video-based sharing infrastructure to determine potential impact mitigation options.

Scope of impact: Your organization is affected by this event, and any user may experience impact if they are viewing an affected meeting recording.

Next update by: Wednesday, March 25, 2020, 6:00 PM (5:00 PM UTC)

Thank you for fast reply

Where can I follow the updates when this will get solved?

Thanks

Simona

@Linus Cansby 

Hi Linus

I just wanted to report that the issue is still on going seeing as you mentioned the next update deing yesterday.

I have just tried to record and the screen sharing was not captured. The purpose of this is for students to be able to record a group presentation as proof and documentation of the fact that they have presented, for the university.

I am hoping to use teams for this however the students will need to do this by next week Thursday (2nd Aprill 2020). Do you think this functionality may be working by then?

If not I would like to know so that I can start providing alternatives.

Keep well

Joel

@JoelFergusonFalmouth 

I also am having this issue and need to this to be corrected. When I recorded my conference call it only captured the pictures of the participants and not the critical screen that was being shared throughout the meeting. 

Please resolve ASAP or I will be forced to use a different platform for my online meetings. 

I have the same problem too. Teammate was capturing her screen when I recorded and the output was only audio and it didn't include teammate's screen. @Linus Cansby 

I had a meeting just now and experienced the same issue. 

I'he just recorded two meetings, hour after hour, first was only audio, second correctly recorded with video...

Hi @Michel Bosch 

can you please provide me a screenshot?

The link you gave me do not work. I do not have permission

@SimonaMargarint 
the same problem occurs in our records done from the last days / weeks.
Tested it with 3 attendants in a sumulated meeting of about 15 min > worked
All our records of MS TEAMS meetings with higher amount (more than 30 attendants) occured to freeze the visual part after 3 or 4 minutes. Audio part works fine.

@Linus Cansby 
Since we try to train all our employees in remote and collaboration tools we urgently need to record the MS TEAMS sessions
So I hope the issue will be fixed soon

@SimonaMargarint Hmm thought I posted the text...let's try it again :)

Recorded meetings not capturing screensharing
TM207532, Microsoft Teams, Last updated: March 26, 2020 12:37 AM
Start time: March 16, 2020 7:00 PM
Status
Service degradation
User impact
Recorded meetings not capturing screensharing for any user with a session lasting over an hour.

User Impact: Recorded meetings not capturing screensharing for any user with a session lasting over an hour.

Current status: We're continuing our efforts to rebalance traffic. Once the fix is developed, we'll deploy it to the affected environment.

Scope of impact: Your organization is affected by this event, and any user may experience impact if they are viewing a meeting recording that had a screensharing session that lasted for over an hour.

Start time: Monday, March 16, 2020, 7:00 PM (6:00 PM UTC)

Root cause: An unexpectedly large influx of traffic to a portion of Microsoft Teams infrastructure resulted in a degradation to the recording meetings feature, resulting in impact to capturing screensharing.

Next update by: Thursday, March 26, 2020, 7:30 PM (6:30 PM UTC)

@JoelFergusonFalmouth I really hope it will work by then. It is time for #Teamsfest April 1st and I will use screen sharing and I think many other presenters will use it too and we want it recorded. 

I suggest that you start a support case with Microsoft for more attention.

@ICT-ANRO It is just wait and see. But you can report to Microsoft Support that you have this problem and they will maybe be able to assign more resources to fix this.

Latest update

Current status: We've verified an issue with the video decoding pipeline that was exposed due to the larger than normal influx of traffic, which is resulting in the impact to the record meetings feature and screensharing. We're continuing to rebalance traffic on the affected infrastructure to restore service.

I started the recording of an MS Teams meeting this morning, and I found (after 1:54h of recording time) that my screen sharing is not recorded at all! I can hear the participants' voices, but I can see only a static screen of the participants' names/pictures... Totally frustrating :(

@xanthosa 

I have the same problem. Some of my recordings have worked, but my most recent two have failed in this way.

In another thread, people have some theories that the timing of when you start the screen share may make a difference. (Before/after starting recording.) But others are seeing random results.

I have previously tried using separate software (Echo360) to make the recording, but this puts too much strain on my tablet, and I see performance issues which can affect the inking and the audio.

I hope that this problem can be resolved soon, because when it works recording in Teams is very convenient!

The advice I have received locally is this:

"You need to start the recording before you start sharing your screen in MS Teams. you'll find this will work otherwise you just get your camera."

I'm going to try this, though in another thread people have said that the results are still random for them.

Hi,
I experienced the same problem recently. I have had two team meetings; the first one was held on 24/03/20 and it was recorded properly including the screen sharing; however, the second which was held on 27/03/20 was recorded without any screen sharing.
I hope this problem can be fixed soon to avoid any confusion and miscommunication.

Thanks
Celen

@SimonaMargarint 

According to Microsoft the service is restored :smile:

Title: Some meeting recordings are not capturing screensharing

User Impact: Some meeting recordings were not capturing screensharing or other videos.

Final status: We've confirmed that the fix has been completely deployed the affected environment and our testing and telemetry indicated that the issue has been mitigated.

Scope of impact: Your organization was affected by this event, and any user may have experienced impact if they were viewing a meeting recording that has a screensharing session or other videos.

Start time: Monday, March 16, 2020, 7:00 PM (6:00 PM UTC)

End time: Saturday, March 28, 2020, 9:44 PM (8:44 PM UTC)

Root cause: A decoding issue within the video pipeline resulted in the record meetings feature to not work as expected.

Next steps: - We're investigating why the increase in traffic degraded the video pipeline to find ways of preventing this issue from reoccurring.

This is the final update for the event.

@Michel Bosch 

That sounds like excellent news! I'm going to test it out now.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

That is an active incident reported in the Message Center, started yesterday. ID TM207532

User Impact: Users may notice that screensharing isn't being captured in Microsoft Teams meeting recordings.

Current status: We're continuing to attempt to reproduce the issue in a controlled environment. Additionally we're reviewing processing usage on the video-based sharing infrastructure to determine potential impact mitigation options.

Scope of impact: Your organization is affected by this event, and any user may experience impact if they are viewing an affected meeting recording.

Next update by: Wednesday, March 25, 2020, 6:00 PM (5:00 PM UTC)

View solution in original post