How do I save documents directly into Teams and access them through Explorer?

Copper Contributor

I don't want to have to download from an email, edit, save the document somewhere on my PC and then upload it to Teams.  HUGE faff!

I also want to be able to find things without having to click through loads of different channels...is that possible?

I also want to know how to find a document to attach it to an email if I am sending something to someone who is NOT in my Teams organisation.

4 Replies

Hey @Mouseketeer 

You can synchronize the root document library for a team using OneDrive sync client. Navigate to the Sharepoint site collection corresponding to a team, synchronize the entire document library to your computer, the channels would appear as folders. Now for any new email coming in with attachment you can directly save it to the synced folder corresponding to a channel where you want to upload it. Work directly on the synced file from explorer. This should save a few steps. There can be other solutions using flows etc. but might be a bit tedious to achieve and would require defining the entire flow.

Hey @harveer singh 

Thank you so much for your reply.  This sounds like it might be the solution I need but I confess that I didn't understand the first bit - how do I "synchronize the root document library for a team using OneDrive sync client"?

Thanks a million,

Mouseketeer

Hey @Mouseketeer 

Try this:

From within teams click on any channel>files>Open in sharepoint:

For example for general channel:

gen1.JPG

Next in sharepoint switch directory to sync documents instead of the general channel folder:

gen2.JPG

gen3.JPG

Thank you for this - it worked. Need to just work out now how to do it so that all the channels in a team appear as sub-folders in file explorer. :)