SOLVED

How can an invited Teams guest regain the QR code for Microsoft Authenticator?

Copper Contributor

I was invited to an organization as a Teams guest. In the first login, I was required to scan a QR code to add an guest account in the Microsoft Authenticator app. This account wasn't like my own ones because it had "#EXT#" in the account to show that I was an outsider of their organization. When I login Teams guest account, I needed to click a pop-up 2-digit number in the Microsoft Authenticator app to get authenticated.

This was fine for sometime. But then I accidentally removed the account from my Microsoft Authenticator app. So how can I regain that QR code - or how can I add that account in my Microsoft Authenticator app again?

Should the admin of that organization remove and invite me again? Is there an article/instruction/doc about this situation?

Thank you!

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Christopher Hoard (MVP)
Solution

@Jia_Xing 

Do you still have the QR code? Press + on the authenticator app on the top right to add and rescan the QR code previously send - it should re-add the account to Authenticator.

If you cannot find the QR code or have deleted it, get the administrator in Azure AD to resend the guest invite to you, or barring this, hard delete you from Azure AD and then re-add you, that should restart the process.

Hope that answers your question

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard I am unable to get MS Authenticator to regenerate the QR code.  The Azure Admin for whom I'm a guest invitee has deleted me from Azure AD and added me again and I receive the new Teams invite but when I click on the link it simply directs me to the two digit access code to sign in.  I need to add my guest account to MS Authenticator for the access code to allow me to sign in so am simply going round in circles.  Can you help ?  Thanks

By the way - if it helps, everything worked until I changed my mobile phone and for some reason my guest account did not transfer across to MS Authenticator app.
Hello,
I faced the same situation and found the answer here: https://office365itpros.com/2023/01/04/microsoft-authenticator-app-qr/
Hope it helps others in need.
Best regards.
Mat
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Christopher Hoard (MVP)
Solution

@Jia_Xing 

Do you still have the QR code? Press + on the authenticator app on the top right to add and rescan the QR code previously send - it should re-add the account to Authenticator.

If you cannot find the QR code or have deleted it, get the administrator in Azure AD to resend the guest invite to you, or barring this, hard delete you from Azure AD and then re-add you, that should restart the process.

Hope that answers your question

Best, Chris

View solution in original post