disable teams notification when a user is added

Copper Contributor

Hello world,

Whenever i add somebody as member to a team(Using Graph APIs). A notification is displayed on the screen of the newly added member.

The business requirement states that this member is to be added and removed multiple times in a day and I don't want the user to get frustrated by all the notifications he will get.

Is there a way i can add a user without him getting a notification on teams?

This teams group is security enabled and we are trying to control the access that a user has by adding and removing him from this teams group.

Thanks in advance,

Anubhav

1 Reply

Hi @anubhav1987 

Have you tried to disable the Welcome Message on the group level?

You can give it a try using PowerShell but you need an Exchange admin role to be able to do this:

# import module ExchangeOnlineManagement
Import-Module ExchangeOnlineManagement

# connect to Exchnge Online
Connect-ExchangeOnline -UserPrincipalName <UPN> [-ExchangeEnvironmentName <Value>] [-ShowBanner:$false] [-DelegatedOrganization <String>] [-SkipLoadingFormatData]

# check if the WelcomeMessageEnabled is true
Get-UnifiedGroup <group ID>|fl WelcomeMessageEnabled

# set WelcomeMessageEnabled to False
Get-UnifiedGroup <group ID> | Set-UnifiedGroup -UnifiedGroupWelcomeMessageEnabled:$false 

It looks that this works on my side, but I am not sure if this is not yet another option that needs to be set. I haven't found anything in the Teams management settings. 

Let me know if this worked or how did you solved if you found another solution. 

/Mike