SOLVED

Disable Microphone Auto Adjustment

Brass Contributor

My microphone is a USB Blue Spark. The mic itself has gain controls, and in Windows (10), it needs to be set to 50% or less, otherwise it starts to clip like crazy (50% is essentially baseline, below reduces volume artificially, above artificially increases it).

Teams 'helpfully' automatically adjusts my volume. To 100%. Blowing my mic out, and making it utterly unusable. As far as I can tell, there is no way to disable this in the UI. Again, I'm on Windows 10 Pro, and I've disabled applications taking exclusive control in the microphone settings. This setting honestly does not seem to do anything at all in Windows 10, but that's a different story.

First, Teams absolutely needs the ability to disable auto-adjustment. It's utterly basic functionality which is necessary for anybody with a real mic.

But, in the meantime, is there any way I can disable auto-adjustment via a registry change?

Thanks.

42 Replies

@beizsI'm having the same problem. Please let me know if you find a solution

@beizs 

Anyone coming across this post please vote for this feature in the UserVoice:

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/38380300-add-an-option-to-disa...

I was working thru this same issue of MS Teams auto adjusting my volume to the max while on a Teams call. Use this website https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000 to set up an Aggregate Device on your Mac, then choose that device as your input source for the Teams call and it will no longer auto adjust the input gain. #gamechanger

@beizs This is a real problem. I am currently working from home with other people working from home for other companies. We have many calls at the same time and my colleagues can hear everything being said at the desk across the room. Also, I have a really great microphone and do not need to set the gain higher.

Because of software restrictions at my company it is not possible for me to install additional software to cricumvent this "feature".

Same problem here. For a new microphone I have, the gain must be set to approximately 0.5 on scale of [0,1] for it to sound good. Every time I speak, however, Teams increases the gain until it's maxed out at 1. I verified that Teams also does this for my old microphone (a USB headset), it just happens to not be an issue. On the new mic, though, this behavior leads to lots of noise & hiss.

My opinion: Teams should not be monkeying with microphone gain.

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Workaround on macOS: create an aggregate device to "mask" the gain settings from Teams.

Steps:

1. Open 'Audio MIDI Setup' application
2. In the left pane, click + symbol and choose Create Aggregate Device
3. Ensure that the new aggregate device is selected in the left pane
4. In the main window area, select the 'Use' checkbox for your real input device
5. Select the real input device from the left pane and set the Master Stream input gain correctly
5. Optionally rename the newly created aggregate device by clicking its entry in the left pane
6. Quit & restart Teams application
7. In Teams, choose the newly created aggregate device as the microphone device

Because the aggregate device does not have a gain setting, Teams cannot f* it up.

To add, as a workaround on Windows, Virtual Audio Cable can be used in the same way.

We need this feature, too! Teams keeps on messing up my Mic volume, and it is annoying towards the other members of the call.

@beizs 

I got the same issue today out of nowhere. Have been working great for as long as I can remember.

After some testing I noticed that teams changed my mic volume to 1 whenever I spoke. did everything I can to stop it without success.

However, I started the teams web-app and it works without issues. so for now I'm stuck using the web-app for meetings, but at least it works.

Lars

While I've resolved this with a workaround (VAC), my coworker has been having the inverse issue; Teams adjusting his microphone down to 0 because it thinks he isn't talking. This has happened numerous times, and is even more disruptive to our meetings than clipping audio, and I cannot think of any workaround (for the actual client; the webapp can be used) for this, so reiterating how necessary this feature is.

@beizs- I'm having the same problem since the last Teams update on my Mac.  My USB Mic works fine in all other apps (Zoom, Google Hangouts, Slack call, OBS), but when I join a Teams meeting, Teams forces the input volume to zero and no one can hear me.  I can use the headphones mic or Mac built-in mic, but the better quality USB studio mic keeps getting zero-ed out.  I'm trying the an "aggregate device" and that seemed to work on the last call.

My problem is that I have to speak really loud to activate the mic and I have no issues with Slack or Discord using the same mic.

I also noticed that while I'm talking on Teams, the voice level on Windows Sound Panel keeps moving like Teams is controlling it. I don't like this at all. I already use a software to control noise gate and I dont't want to be locked with this solution that doesn't even work.

Had the same issue with my Rode USB mic.
Fixed it using VB-Cable, with this software the output of the microphone can be mirrored to a virtual device and Teams can be set up to use this virtual device. That way Teams does not see the Microphone directly and can't mess with it's level/gain.

Indeed not a great solution but it may help someone.

I would definitely prefer a switch in Team's settings to disable this "feature".

@beizs 

The level of my Rode NT-USB mini was been continuously reduced by MS Teams to either 0 or 7! I think everyone who is using an USB mic instead of the build-in one or the webcam does this for a purpose and Microsoft shouldn't desperately try to outsmart us.

Workaround on Windows 10:
1. Download virtual audio cable from https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm.
2. Extract and install driver and restart (if needed).
3. Open sound settings.
4. Playback tab: Set your normal speakers as default.
5. Recording tab: Set your normal microphone as default.
6. Open properties for this microphone and under "listen" tab, set to play through the new "Cable Input" device and check the "listen to this device" box.
7. In MS Teams, device settings, set the microphone input to the new "Cable Output".

@beizs 

For me problem started after upgrading win 8--> Win 10.

My solution was to start Teams in windows 8 compatibility mode. I tested it on 2 calls and it seems it is working.

It still does mic levels adjustment but very slick and in small steps (from 90 to 89,88), and ppl on call don't notice anything.

@beizs found a software solution: https://sysadmin-central.com/2020/08/05/microsoft-teams-fix-auto-adjusting-microphone-audio/

It works for me with a Fifine microphone that had the exact same issue.

@pkoetzing Thank you! This solved my problem. Life saver!! 

@beizs 

I found a workaround that works for me, I use Windows btw. I download a program called VoiceMeeter, Banana or not doesnt matter, then use that program and connect my mic there, then use the output that Voicemeeter uses as my input on Teams. When doing this the program wont change the level of your microphone.

I also found this workaround, best fix so far.
Pro: it is free tool, it is a virtual mixer, allows multiple inputs, allows multiple outputs, no added delay
Con: requires installation (must be able install, admin rights) +one time restart
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Workaround on macOS: create an aggregate device to "mask" the gain settings from Teams.

Steps:

1. Open 'Audio MIDI Setup' application
2. In the left pane, click + symbol and choose Create Aggregate Device
3. Ensure that the new aggregate device is selected in the left pane
4. In the main window area, select the 'Use' checkbox for your real input device
5. Select the real input device from the left pane and set the Master Stream input gain correctly
5. Optionally rename the newly created aggregate device by clicking its entry in the left pane
6. Quit & restart Teams application
7. In Teams, choose the newly created aggregate device as the microphone device

Because the aggregate device does not have a gain setting, Teams cannot f* it up.

View solution in original post