Disable Chat function for students against teacher on demand within Teams?

Copper Contributor

Hi,

is it possible to disable the chat function for members in a Team against particularly members (i.e teachers).  Our need is that it should be possible for a teacher to turn off the possibility that students can chat with the teacher when needed but that students can still chat with each other within a Team/channel 

7 Replies
Hi, not really sure if that is the wanted solution? If I mute the teacher from commenting/chatting in class conversations by this solution, means this also that the students within the Team get an notice that they not can communicate with the teacher?
In this scenario you mute the students.

OK - but if the teacher would be the owner of the Team, could the teacher be muted by his self? y@ChristianBergstrom 

I don't understand. Why do you want to mute a teacher? The teacher should be able to do whatever he/she needs to do, right? Never heard of case when someone wants to prevent a teacher from using the chat etc. Perhaps you need to elaborate on what you want to achieve for a better understanding.
OK maybe I have to be more clearly what we want to achieve.
We are a university who want to enable Microsoft 356 Teams for our students to be able to collaborate, communicate and have meetings with each other between students and teachers, However, we want to be able to turn off the chat function (on demand) so that students do not have the opportunity to chat with the teacher(s). It is actually an request from our teachers that came out in a risk and vulnerability analysis.

@hittan61 Hello, well then the above to mute students in a class team is pretty obvious, isn't it? You can also prevent students from using chat in general or only during meetings. You have meeting options and policies available for that. Using policies will be more persistent though. There are many settings when it comes to the chat, soon the "Supervised chat" will be released as well.

You can start by reading this for guidance, your IT can assist setting things up Keeping students safe while using Teams for distance learning (microsoft.com)