Channel Names

Copper Contributor

When creating a channel, the current naming order for hierarchy seems to be (from top to bottom) General>Special Characters>Numbers>Alphabet. Is there a unique character or keystroke or anything that will put a new channel at the bottom of the channel list below the alphabetical, i.e. General>Special Characters>Numbers>Alphabet>? 

The reason why I ask is in some of the Teams I've created, I plan to use RSS feeds for updates. I would like them to be displayed at the bottom of the Channel list so people do not have to scroll down or "ignore" these channels when going to other content in the Team. It's an efficiency and simplicity thing. 

2 Replies

Channels are sorted by the order they're created, not by name. In fact being able to sort them by name is a top request on UserVoice: https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/20589934-sort-order-channels

By default only a handful of channels will be shown, unless you as the creator or the users themselves decide to "pin" them, and all other channels will be hidden under the "hidden channels" menu at the bottom. So I wouldnt worry too much in your scenario.

@Vasil Michev 

Thanks for the reply! Appreciate you taking the time to answer. 

I'm not sure your reply is completely correct or I am misunderstanding what you are stating. Here is an example of a test team I created. You can see after "general" all channels that start with special characters are next, then channels that start with a number, and finally alphabetical even though I created the channels randomly and not in any specific order. 

Shep1_0-1608313518987.png

Also, 

"By default only a handful of channels will be shown, unless you as the creator or the users themselves decide to "pin" them, and all other channels will be hidden under the "hidden channels" menu at the bottom. So I wouldnt worry too much in your scenario."

This is a accurate even as an owner for the group I click to "automatically show this in everyone's channel list"?