SOLVED

Breakout rooms recording

Copper Contributor
Hi,
I have a been looking for a definitive answer for these questions regarding teams for education and recording of breakout rooms.

1. Can breakout rooms be recorded?
2. If so, does the teacher need to be in each room for them to be recorded? What happens if the teacher goes to another room?
3. If they can be recorded, does it produce multiple recordings for that meeting from the breakout rooms?
Many thanks.
10 Replies
Hi!
1: yes they can
2: only once to start the recording! It’s fine to leave! It will continue
3: it will be separate recordings!

A breakout room isn’t much more than a separate meeting really!

Adam

@adam deltinger , thank you!  Is it possible to either automatically record all the breakout rooms (I presume not) or (hopefully) allow students to start these recordings themselves?

Ralph

No, theres no way to automatically start them! Depending on meeting settings, if they are presenters they can start a recording
Thanks, I tried it this morning

1. I needed to go to each room and start recording.
2. When I stopped the breakout rooms, only one recording went to the chat. I was in that room when I stopped the breakout rooms.
3. Maybe I need to leave a breakout room, then stop the breakout rooms, or manually stop recording in each room first - any ideas????
Have you checked the chat for the breakout room?
Yes, i had two rooms, one recorded and went to the chat, but one room didn't. The room i wasn't in, is the one that didn't send a recording to the chat?????
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@Tikkacat Not sure if this is your issue but it is worth noting that even if your "main / parent" meeting was based in a Channel, the breakout recording does not go there. So if by "chat" you meant channel chat I'm not surprised you cannot find it.  

My experience has been that instead it's location follows that of the recording initiator.

If the recording initiator is still using the MS Stream recording policy (and has permissions to upload to MS Stream) then that is where it goes. But by default the entire MS Team does not get permission, like it would for a normal channel meeting. It's the recording initiator, members of the breakout space and the meeting organiser. But people in other breakout rooms would not get access. 

If the recording initiator is using the new OneDriveforBusiness recording policy then it goes into the "initiators" OneDrive / Recordings folder. Not the MS Teams files area like it would for a normal channel meeting. Again permissions are granted to the breakout room and meeting organiser, but not the wider MS Team members. 

So basically you could have 10 breakout sessions and 1 parent all being recorded, but the actual recordings stored in 11 different folder locations. (Assuming worst case of each breakout rooms recording being initiated by a different person). 

Whilst possibly not pragmatic it may be better to try and encourage the "right" people to be initiators of the recordings.

The fact that you can even record breakout spaces in the first place is one up from other popular providers, but I can see scenarios where issues could arise. Perhaps compounded with OneDriveforBusiness + captioning where the indication is that if the file is moved it may break the captioning. So relocation of breakout recordings back into the MS Team may be an option but not without downsides. 

@RABarlow This would be so useful as it can take a while to visit each room to start recording.  A 'record all breakout rooms' feature would be really helpful.

This is helpful! Thank you!
What if the meeting ended by the Teacher in breakout room and I didn't stop recording it. It'll still be saved? Where can I find the saved recording?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@Tikkacat Not sure if this is your issue but it is worth noting that even if your "main / parent" meeting was based in a Channel, the breakout recording does not go there. So if by "chat" you meant channel chat I'm not surprised you cannot find it.  

My experience has been that instead it's location follows that of the recording initiator.

If the recording initiator is still using the MS Stream recording policy (and has permissions to upload to MS Stream) then that is where it goes. But by default the entire MS Team does not get permission, like it would for a normal channel meeting. It's the recording initiator, members of the breakout space and the meeting organiser. But people in other breakout rooms would not get access. 

If the recording initiator is using the new OneDriveforBusiness recording policy then it goes into the "initiators" OneDrive / Recordings folder. Not the MS Teams files area like it would for a normal channel meeting. Again permissions are granted to the breakout room and meeting organiser, but not the wider MS Team members. 

So basically you could have 10 breakout sessions and 1 parent all being recorded, but the actual recordings stored in 11 different folder locations. (Assuming worst case of each breakout rooms recording being initiated by a different person). 

Whilst possibly not pragmatic it may be better to try and encourage the "right" people to be initiators of the recordings.

The fact that you can even record breakout spaces in the first place is one up from other popular providers, but I can see scenarios where issues could arise. Perhaps compounded with OneDriveforBusiness + captioning where the indication is that if the file is moved it may break the captioning. So relocation of breakout recordings back into the MS Team may be an option but not without downsides. 

View solution in original post