avatar update state synchronization issue.

Copper Contributor

After uploading my avatar for first time the state with new avatar is not correctly propagated in whole app. At some places the placeholder avatar is correctly updated with new avatar right after it's been set, in others the old avatar stays making the whole avatar idea counterproductive - it's confusing rather than helpful.

The issue persists even after restart of electron app (Linux).

3 Replies
Hi,
just to make sure, that I understand it the correct way. With "Avatar" you mean your profile picture, right?
In the past I took a more detailed look on how the profile picture sync is working in Office365 and I came across a strange behaviour in Teams. (I only tested it with windows, so I am not sure, if this also related to Linux). While the Profile picture was updated correctly in the backend (keep in mind, that this can take up to 24 - 48 hours), a lot of users still saw my old profile picture in Teams or in some Teams Apps and in some other Teams Apps already the new one.
This seems to relate to the Teams Cache.
On some affected sytems, I completely deleted the internal Teams cache and then started Teams again. Afterwards the profile picture was shown correctly everywhere. Seems for me more like a bug, because a lot of colleagues encounter this issue.

Maybe you can try to delete your Teams cache?
Greets,
Markus

@Markus_95hello. Thanks for the fast response.

I don't think it's a platform specific issue. I think it most likely happens in electron app in general. It doesn't really make app unusable but it's a bit weird as the profile picture / avatar should serve a purpose of visual identification which it doesn't if it does not display consistently. I think this is most likely a bug in cache eviction as you mention. I also guess that it's based on size of an image. The larger one gets updated while smaller version doesn't. I'm adding a screenshot that should help to illustrate this.

turbo_MaCk_0-1626954944156.png

As mentioned this is probably not a critical bug as it doesn't make app unusable but in my honest opinion it's still something software engineering team should take care of.

Hi,
I think you are right. This is a general problem within the Teams application. When I troublshooted this issue I also took a look at the web app and there the picture were working fine. So as you said, this is something the engineering team should take care of it, because I have seen it multiple times now, after I switched my picture.
Greets,
Markus