SOLVED

apply live caption policy to all users including guests

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I've been tasked with "disable live captions for all users in all meetings in our tenant A". (I do not want to discuss the reasons....).

Seemed to be simple enough, using meeting policies and changing the global policy by setting the live caption option to disabled. Quick check: started a meeting with a colleague, live caption not available, that's great.

However....

guests from other tenants (like B) who have been invited to our Tenant A can still activate live captions. I even disabled live captions in B and in A, now members of A can't activate live captions for meetings in A und members of B can't activate live captions for meetings in B. But members of A can still activate live captions for meetings in B and vice versa.

So the global policy isn't that global after all. Could there be an really-global-policy or an uber-global-policy I haven't found yet?

In the meeting policy the heading "Participants & guests" is certainly misleading since it does not apply to the kind of guests I'm talking about. The explanation "Participant and guest settings let you control access to Teams meetings for people that dial in using a phone." can't be correct either, since most of those settings can't apply to "people that dial in using a phone", sind people dialing in using a phone won't be able to use live captions anyway. And the option does apply to members of our tenant not using a phone to dial in, that's been verified....

There is still "Guest access" as part for "org-wide settings", but there are no settings regarding live captions.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards
Patrick

5 Replies

@pvdhagen Hi! Interesting scenario. Never heard of a similar before so jumping in... Totally agree on the GUI and the descriptions, can't believe they haven't made that more clear by now. If you aren't already familiar with Teams and all the settings they do not help.

Anyway, are you saying you succeeded in assigning a policy on a guest user? This shouldn't be possible. Another thing that comes to mind is that you think that because the global policy is default everyone is on it, so changing a setting in that one should be enough. But it's quite common that the assigned meeting policy isn't the global one. Have you verified that the users involved has the correct policy assigned? The RestrictedAnonymousAccess usually mess with live captions as it's disabled.

Hi @ChristianBergstrom,

thank you for for your taking you time to reply to my szenario.

So, my guest has a regular invitation my my aad tenant, which has been accepted. The guest has been joined to a team.

I can find this guest in "MS Teams admin center" at "Users". There is a list of policies and according to the list of "Assigned policies" the "Global (org-wide default)" has been assigned and when I drill down into this policy, it claims that live-captions have been disabled. What's certainly what I want, but the guest can still enable live-captions.

I haven't tried changing a guests policy yet (since the one which should be applied according to the UI is perfectly fine), but you are correct: when I try to change this guest users meeting policy, I'm told "We were able to assign some users to the policies. However, there are other users that can't be assigned to these policies: Meeting policy. If you continue to have problems, contact Microsoft customer support.".

Not a great message, if being unable to assign policies to guest users is by design.

From my perspective it could be an ui issue and the ui should not show a list of assigned policies, which can't be applied to guest users by design. In that case, the ui shouldn at least report "this is a guest user, your policies won't apply, not even the default ones".

If the ui is correct and the policy should apply while it in fact does not, then there might be some overriding setting, which I haven't found yet.

Or Teams is just noch implementing the policy correctly for guest users.

I'm a little lost here.

Best regards

Patrick

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@pvdhagen Hi, I,m aware of the GUI and that you can see the guest users there and "assigned policies" as well. But as far as I know you can't assign policies to guest users in this way. I did a search here at the community and found this as a confirmation, a bit old but Custom Teams Policy for Guest Users - Microsoft Tech Community

Did a wider search and can't find any information about it being a possibility either.

@ChristianBergstrom 

Current update, accodring to Micosort support

When using the users-view in the teams admin center, you simply can't see whether or not the user is guest or member. If you need to know, you can check in AAD. The policy-view is certainly not misleading, because "Meeting policy: Global (org-wide default)" obviously does not imply that the "global (org-wide default)" does apply to this specific user. It should be read as "this policy applies, if the user is of type member, bot obviously not if the user is of type guest, which we just don't bother to differentiate here". Admin staff getting this ui wrong obviously lack training and experience.

teams-guest-policies.png

Pro tip: if you want to check without accessing AAD, just assing some random policy to the user. If it fails, this is a guest user and the policies won't apply anyway. If it works, quickly undo your change.

And regarding the requested restriction "guest users must not use live captions": not a serious feature request, don't bother us.

@pvdhagen Hello, you gotta be kidding me? No way you got such a response from the official Microsoft support? I would seriously contact that persons manager (always in the signature). Regardless of all that "info" provided from the so called support it still ends up with what's already been said in the conversation. You cannot assign policies to guest users this way. And for the record you can most certainly see if it's a guest user or not using the TAC.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@pvdhagen Hi, I,m aware of the GUI and that you can see the guest users there and "assigned policies" as well. But as far as I know you can't assign policies to guest users in this way. I did a search here at the community and found this as a confirmation, a bit old but Custom Teams Policy for Guest Users - Microsoft Tech Community

Did a wider search and can't find any information about it being a possibility either.

View solution in original post