Now in public preview: Teams Video Clip

Microsoft

Rolling out to production environment started, expected to be completed by end of November.

Description

Teams video clips (TVC) allow users to express themselves in Teams chat, by capturing, reviewing, and then sending a short video. The recipient can view the video at their convenience, playing in-line, directly from the chat feed.

Flighting status

Available to everyone in Public Preview channel.

How to enable

1. Go to any one-on-one or group chat.
  2. Select Record a video clip under the box where you type a message.

Video Clip icon.png

3. Select Record.
    Note: You can pause and continue the recording as many times as you need.   

Record a video clip.png

4. When you're done recording, select Review.

Review a video clip.png

5. Now you can send the video clip or record it again.

Note 1: If you need information about enabling the public preview itself, see “Enable the public preview for Teams” below.

Note 2: User needs to be in Public Preview to have access to Teams Video Clip feature.

Note 3: Record a video clip is available as part of the Public Preview program and might undergo further changes before being released publicly.

Supported clients and platforms

Windows

macOS

iOS

Android

Linux

Google Chrome

Firefox

Safari

Microsoft Edge

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Known issues

None

Known limitations

• User can only record maximum 1 minute video clips
  • User cannot download video clips
  • User cannot forward video clips
  • User cannot send video clips while user is in a Teams meeting
  • User cannot hide their background or screen-share
  • Video Clip is only available in Chats

Enable your Teams client for the public preview 

1. First, IT admins need to set an update policy that turns on Show preview features. Learn how at Public preview in Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs.  
  2. Users then choose to join the public preview individually. Learn how at Get early access to new Teams features - Office Support (microsoft.com) 

Send us your feedback 

Got feedback on features in the public preview or other areas of Teams? Let us know straight from Teams via Help Give feedback This is on the bottom left of your client.

Give feedback.png

Thank you,

Preview Team 

Quality & Customer Obsession, Microsoft Teams

18 Replies
Where are these video clips stored?

@Jan_Steberl Is there a way to disable this for Teams administration as we would not want this to be live to our environment.

Tenant admins can disable this feature.

Updated-

The video clips are stored in a M365 service called ODSP  AMS (Async Media Service) and then ingested into Substrate.

When a user deletes their video clip, it will delete from both AMS and Substrate as well.

However, if the tenant set a retention policy to their user content, it will honor the retention policy.

The other way to look at this is that video clip is just like a text message with a attachment, it will follow the chat message life cycle.

Earlier I mentioned ODSP which is the service for files and images.

Interesting. How do I access ODSP and delete my video clips, when necessary?

@Jan_Steberl A couple of ideas that would significantly improve upon this:

- provide the option for an audio only clip, like WhatsApp

-allow users to switch Camera to be a screen share instead, like Loom

Thank you!

Hi Mike,

I updated the storage response which may answer your question.
Thank you for the feedback on updates you would find useful for this feature to support. I'm happy to report the team has these on their backlog and are looking into implementing them in the future.

Hi, Jason!

So if I defined a Chat Retention Policy that deletes chat messages after 30 days, I guess video clips would also be deleted, wouldn't they?

Could the receiver download and keep the video clip or just watch it inside the Teams client?

Thanks!

In Teams Admin Center, under Message policies you can modify the Global policy to disable Video messages: 

Carlos_Alvarez_Mtl_2-1664914643755.png

Remember preview features might be only available to users that have with a Team update policy set to Enabled. But it might be a good preventive step for when the feature becomes available.

Hi Moss,

Agreed on both.

On the Audio clip only, I found this is in the backlog and will be considered for future prioritization.

Great feedback, it is through this kind of comments that preview features are adjusted before they are made GA.
It will delete the video clip that is part of the message per the retention policy you outlined.

Download of video clips is not a supported function.
Thanks!
This preview document has been updated to alert our users that this feature is Generally Available to many users today. It is projected to be fully available to all users by the end of November.
-Audio only clips are available in chats for the Teams Android app, not sure about Apple

-60 second screenshares with audio would be a game changer for me and my team. Having them be available in channels as well as chats would be tremendous as well.
Hello @Jan_Steberl
A question about the differences between video clip teams desktop version and video clip teams ios version.
I noticed that I can add text and draw on video clip on my iphone. These options are not present in the desktop version. Do you know if there will be on the roadmap ?

@Jan_Steberl 

Unfortunately this is causing a support headache for us as our colleagues expect to be able to download video clips. This is affecting pre-recorded short clips that are added to a message, not just ones recorded via this feature. Telling them to open in their mobile and share from there is not going down well.

@Jason_Schumacher can you expand on Async Media Service (and why its not using ODSP)?  Is there any way to query that service to run a report of who used TVC?