SOLVED

Modern authentication

Brass Contributor

Hey!

We use Microsoft intune and our organization is set to use modern authentication. Our users and their computers are experiencing login issues and we have linked it to modern authentication issue. We found it by running the Microsoft Support and Rocovery assistant. To solve this, we pushed out HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\AlwaysUseMSOAuthForAutoDiscover via a script from intune or running the rocover assistand that change this on the comuter.

But we have a number of users who have received the registry key, but the problem remains + that Microsoft Support and Rocovery assistant reports that modern authentication is not activated. It's just like something changes back to legacy connecting.

Where should I start looking?

11 Replies
Do you only have this problem in Outlook? (The registry key tells me so ;) ) And are you running a hybrid Exchange?

@Harm_Veenstra 

It started with Outlook getting a ! over the icon. Now users are having problem with Teams (login) and Excel/word.

There are issues today with Microsoft services like Teams, Exchange, Sharepoint/OndeDrive, and Azure. If the problems with those applications started today, then it's probably that.

You're not using ADFS btw?

HI!
We have had this problems from the start of using AAD and Intune, it is about 6 month. It is hard to pin-point when it happens. (no ADFS)
The stranges thing is that when we run the Microsoft support assistant it changes the setting to start us Modern Auth ... but the same user can after a week have the sam problem and MS support assistant have to chang to modern auth again.

You could try to report a ticket at MS by using the support option in admin.microsoft.com?
Any update?
Under support it will just give me support to my partner (license reseller).
best response confirmed by Micke640 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

If you go to admin.microsoft.com, click on the question mark sign, type in a question (Like adfs, for example), click on Contact Support at the bottom, and then New Microsoft service request. Or don't you see that button? (I'm doing this as a Global Admin btw, you will need to have the Global admin, Helpdesk admin, or Service support admin role)

It worked out for you like that?
hi!
Support was unable to solv this issue. They keep getting back to GPO (that we done use). Now this is moved over to Intune support.
Update on this is that every time i run Microsoft support assistant it tells me that my organisation is using modern authentication and my computer settings hasn´t this settings.
Ok, hope that Intune support can help you out with this issue...
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Micke640 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

If you go to admin.microsoft.com, click on the question mark sign, type in a question (Like adfs, for example), click on Contact Support at the bottom, and then New Microsoft service request. Or don't you see that button? (I'm doing this as a Global Admin btw, you will need to have the Global admin, Helpdesk admin, or Service support admin role)

View solution in original post