Difference between Intune and M365 Device Management

Silver Contributor

Can someone please help me understand the difference between the functionality and purposes of the M365 Device Management Center at https://devicemanagement.microsoft.com and Intune. There seems to be a lot of overlapping functionality and I'm confused about when to use each of them

4 Replies
Hi Dean!

Hope you having a good one. It’s exlained here

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune/what-is-device-management#simplify-it-tasks-using-the-device...

States in the article that the dashboard has elements of Intune and Azure AD, all pertaining to device and app management!

Hope that’s enough!

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard  thanks, I had just read that, and it is what has me confused.  I think what I really need is a "When to use what" type of document/presentation. Each portal has several of the same menu items/page, e.g. Device Compliance , Device Enrollment, Users, Groups, Conditional Access. 

What I'd really like to know is if there are just 2 different pages to do the excact same thing, or if there are subtle difference that could provide benefits or cause issues that are difficult to investigate.

@Dean Gross 

As far as I can understand MDM for Office 365 (as I've seen it called) offers a subset of features that you get in Intune.  What I would do is do a product comparison between the two (Found at this link) and try to determine what product fits your need based on functionality and cost.  MDM for Office 365 is included with your Office 365 subscription (double check your license level) where as Intune is $6 per user per month if I recall.  Hope this helps!!!

They do the same thing. Just had a look at it now.

As I can’t upload a photo from IPhone I have stuck the image up on Twitter and mentioned you! All the device management dashboard is is a collection of existing blades from Intune and Azure AD. If I select Devices, the title shows Intune and if I select Users the title shows Azure AD.

I guess the benefit of this, arguably, simpler navigation and time saving. It will certainly cut down on the jumping around between the Intune and Azure AD blades in the Azure portal.

Hope that answers it!

Best, Chris