SOLVED

Nested M365 Groups: Definitive Answer

Copper Contributor

Hello!

I am writing here as I've not been able to find a definitive, conclusive answer for my question.

Consider the following case:

We have 1 distribution group, named DistList@company.onmicrosoft.com

We also have 1 Microsoft 365 Group, named M365Group@company.onmicrosoft.com. This M365 Group has 10 members. This Microsoft 365 group is nested inside DistList@company.onmicrosoft.com.

The Distribution Group is set up to accept internal and external e-mail. The Microsoft 365 group is set up to accept internal e-mail.

Internal User A, UserA@company.onmicrosoft.com, sends an e-mail to DistList@company.onmicrosoft.com . Since it's an internal e-mail, there should be no problem for the Distribution Group or the Microsoft 365 Group to accept the e-mail. The delivery report in Message Trace also shows that the e-mail has been received by the Distribution Group, and expanded to it's members.

However, no member of the nested Microsoft 365 Group M365Group@company.onmicrosoft.com  receive the e-mail that User A sent to DistList@company.onmicrosoft.com . 

So my question: Is it, or is it not, possible to have a Microsoft 365 Group nested inside a Distribution Group, and also get all e-mail sent to the distribution group?

4 Replies
I believe you can’t do this! Although it will probably go to the group email then.

Adam
Good point, it probably goes to the group e-mail but never expands further.

best response confirmed by Marc8745 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Marc8745 this is the normal behaviour of an M365 group, however you can set a flag via PowerShell if I am not mistaken to change it so that everyone in the groups get the mail, otherwise only people who "subscripted" to that mailbox will get it.

Thank you @magichappens, this seems reasonable!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Marc8745 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Marc8745 this is the normal behaviour of an M365 group, however you can set a flag via PowerShell if I am not mistaken to change it so that everyone in the groups get the mail, otherwise only people who "subscripted" to that mailbox will get it.

View solution in original post