Frightening permissions required when adding Google calendar to Outlook

Brass Contributor

Under Outlook Online you can add personal calendars (so they're merged in the view with your work calendars) from under Add calendar -> Add Personal calendars. Great idea! However, when you try to add a Google calendar these are the required permissions:

ZoltanLehoczky_0-1605724505027.png

This is a complete no-go for me: I'd like to display my personal calendar in Outlook. I don't even want to edit it. But I could kind of accept calendar permissions. But why on earth does Outlook need permission to have complete control over my e-mails? My Drive? My contacts?

Can this be changed?

This would be crucial because it seems that currently there is simply no way to have a single calendar view of all events in your personal work (Outlook), group work (Office Groups) and personal private (Google) calendars in a single view: Due to this you can't view Google Calendar events in Office, and due to this issue it's not possible to show group calendar events in Google Calendar.

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies

@ZoltanLehoczky  I completely agree. I'm just writing to add my support to this call for less broad permissions being requested to integrate Google calendar into Office 365 Calendar.  Like Zoltan, I just require a read only view of my Google calendar. This shouldn't require giving permission to read my email or google drive, or delete my data

@PeterAshford In the meantime, I managed to just display my personal Google Calendar's (or another one's) content in Outlook: You can select "Add calendar" → "Subscribe from web", and use the export URL of the other calendar. For Google Calendar you can find this under Settings → "Settings for my calendars" → select the calendar in question → find the "Secret address in iCal format”.