Encrypt options greyed out in Outlook desktop

Brass Contributor

I have Office 365 Business Premium with Outlook for Office 365 MSO (16.0.12130.20382) 64-bit desktop. This plan does not support Office 365 Message Encryption (OME) on it's own but I added Azure Information Protection Premium P1.

With this set up I'm able to use the encrypt options with Outlook Web.

owa.jpg

In Outlook desktop, the Encrypt button is available but the OME options are greyed out

owd.jpg

Should these OME options be accessible in Outlook desktop with this setup?

In addition, I sent a test "Do Not Forward" encrypted message from Outlook Web to another one of my O365 email addresses in a different domain. This is supposed to keep the recipient from copying, printing or forwarding the message. However I was able to do all three actions after receiving the message. Here's the sent message showing that it was set to Do Not Forward and the received message showing that it was forwarded after receipt:

dnf-sent.jpgdnf.jpg

Any idea what's going on there?

7 Replies
Hi!

I would recommend working through the following document

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/compliance/set-up-new-message-encryption-capabilities

Sounds like whilst you added the right licensing (BPrem + AADP1) it sounds like elements of the configuration haven’t been completed - in particular the activation of the rights management service or the config of the mail flow rules.

Let me know how you get on

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard Yep, tried all of that already. Everything checks out and is configured correctly.

rights mgmnt.jpg

Hi @Chris McFarling

Apologies - just to confirm that you test the OME configuration via Powershell?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/compliance/set-up-new-message-encryption-capabilities

If so, does a rip and re-add of the profile light it up? Does the functionality work in Outlook on the Web?

Best, Chris

@Christopher HoardYes, testing via PowerShell checks out. Outlook Web works as well, see original post. Setting up an Exchange rule to encrypt messages also works. It just doesn't work in Outlook desktop.

@Chris McFarling  Did you ever resolve this? I have the same issue.

@darinF12I did not. I think it simply doesn't work with the Office 365 edition of Outlook.

i think the issue is outlook installation specific.  My outlook app has the IRM options available and they work but I just set one of my employees up and his IRM options are all grayed out.  We are both able to use the options in OWA, just not on our desktop version of Outlook 365