SOLVED

New Outlook - Cannot connect to server

Copper Contributor

 

A few of us in the IT Department are trying to preview the new Outlook.  When we click the slider the new Outlook launches, sits at the Setting up account for a few minutes, then errors out with "Cannot connect to server".  We can get back to the old Outlook by running outlook.exe /safe, but the new Outlook will not connect for anyone even when off our network and no VPN is running.

 

I cannot find any articles that show changes in requirements from the old application to the new one.  Anybody seen this issue?

11 Replies
is the latest updates installed for your outlook ?
Yes, we are the most recent update for our release channel.
do you have any app protection policy in place in intune for outlook ?
We do not use Intune, and just double checked to make sure there was nothing there.

@TimTrag from one of your outlook clients navigate to account blade and click on the update options and click update now and check if there are new updates missing. 

 

eliekarkafy_0-1684176128545.png

 

I am completely up to date.

@TimTrag 

 

Also seeing this as well. Haven't been able to locate anything helpful at all so far.

best response confirmed by TimTrag (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@George_W_Argiropoulos 

 

I was actually able to figure this out in my organization at least.  I found this article,https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/outlook-on-the-web/..., and determined that OneWinNativeOutlookEnabled has to be set to $true.  If it is set to $false or blank for a user then they cannot connect.

As soon as I changed it from blank to $true, and waited about 15 minutes for it to propagate, for my colleague and I the issue went away

Thank you so much. After the first guy in IT tried it and comlained they had disabled it without my knowing. This worked perfectly and allowed me to enable it just for my mailbox. Thanks, @TimTrag!
Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily.
It did not. TimTrag's post was the one that helped resolve the issue.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by TimTrag (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@George_W_Argiropoulos 

 

I was actually able to figure this out in my organization at least.  I found this article,https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/outlook-on-the-web/..., and determined that OneWinNativeOutlookEnabled has to be set to $true.  If it is set to $false or blank for a user then they cannot connect.

As soon as I changed it from blank to $true, and waited about 15 minutes for it to propagate, for my colleague and I the issue went away

View solution in original post