Office Online: Word and PowerPoint Documents open in Edit Mode

Copper Contributor

What I'm seeing is that Word and PowerPoint files, when clicked from a team site document library, open in browser (as configured) in Edit mode instead of Read. When these same files are clicked on from a Teams client, they will open in Read as expected.

This seems to be a recent change that's causing our users issues. I've seen other posts regarding this issue outside of this community, but nothing definitive with regard to a resolution.

Any help or direction would be appreciated!

2 Replies

Word online documents opening in edit mode

It doesn’t look like MS are going to change it…

The behaviour that files opened in Word Online is directly in the edit mode is a behaviour in SharePoint Online by default now.

As a workaround, you can set Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited to Yes in Version settings in Library Settings. Meanwhile, I suggest you submit your feedback on our SharePoint UserVoice as it is the direct way for product developers to know users’ requirements.

I have followed the link and voted

I have found a way around ... site contents, navigate to document library setting, advanced settings and  Open in the client application. This works for me due to the formatting of the document and it opening in edit view in the browser was throwing out the document format.