Excel Windows Client co-authoring

Iron Contributor

Hey everyone -

I have read a few other posts on this topic, but none of them seem to be a smoking gun for me.

I am trying to co-author an excel document with other members of my team.  We are all running version 16.0.8431.2242.  

Here is how we are attempting:

1.  We have an excel document that is part of an Office 365 Group.

2.  The O365 group is synced to our machine using OneDrive for Business.

3.  The excel file has been shared with the members of the team.

4.  Whenever we attempt to get more than 1 person in the file, the additional authors receive a message that the file is locked for editing.

According to what I have been reading, the version we are running should support co-authoring in the windows client app, correct?  I haven't seen many mentions of attempting this via groups / OFB - but if that is what is causing the issue - how should we be doing this?

Thanks

Steve

6 Replies

You are running a very old Office version... 

Coauthoring in Excel is supported only on newer versions, I believe starting with Monthly Channel Version 1707 (Build 8326.2058). See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/mt465751

Have a look also at https://support.office.com/en-us/article/collaborate-on-excel-workbooks-at-the-same-time-with-co-aut...

Thank you for the input - I was unaware that we didn't have channel defined in our configuration.xml - therefore it defaults to Branch, which is the semi annual channel.  

We are now downloading the current release from the Monthly channel.  Will test once I get that version installed and report back.  

Thanks

Steve

Also, be aware that, in order to coauthoring to work, the file format must be the latest one (i.e. Office 2016 xlsx) and the relevant setting in OneDrive should be enabled.

Thank you.. We are using the correct file format. Still not working

What is the correct setting in One Drive? We have shared the file to the relevant parties but have not adjusted any setting in One Drive

See this screenshot (in Italian, sorry...):

Immagine 001.jpg

Anyway, if you don't upgrade Office in first place, it will never work...