Shared Mailbox - Deactivate Calendar and Contacts

Copper Contributor

Hey everybody,

I am struggeling to find the solution to my problem on the web and cannot believe that this should not be possible.

We are using a few shared mailboxes (info@... / accounting@... ). Each shared mailbox comes with its own contact book which all show up in my contact tab in outlook. As we don't use the contacts and calenders of these shared mailboxes, how to I get rid of them?

Same for the calendars. I don't need 6 empty calendars in the overview. It must be an option to turn them off entirely.

Thanks and best Regards,

Florian

5 Replies
That depends on how you are accessing the shared mailbox, but generally speaking there is no way to "turn them off" - they are a part of every mailbox. The minimalistic approach would be to use folder-level permissions and only grant access to the folders you want to see within Outlook.
Hello Vasil,

thanks for the quick reply. I am accessing the shared mailbox in the "usual" way, I would say. I set them up in the O365 admin panel and gave permission to the individuals to the whole shared mailbox.

Can you (or anyone else) give me a push in the right direction on how to set up folder permissions? And will the inbox (and the other mailbox folder) still show up automatically in the outlook mail tab? (I want to avoid having to add the mailboxes for each user manually).

Thanks a lot
You cannot have it both ways :) If you want to only see specific folders, you cannot use Full Access/Automapping. Instead, you need to grant folder-level permissions (via PowerShell, Add-MailboxFolderPermission) and add the mailbox manually.
Hello again,

I have now removed all exisiting access to one of the shared mailboxes and added the "Editor" Permission on "inbox" for myself. I then added the mailbox manually but when trying to open the mailbox I get the error:"The Folder cannot be displayed. Microsoft Outlook cannot access the selected Location". (Freely translated).

Any ideas why this isn't working?
When using folder-level permissions, make sure to add at least "FolderVisible" permissions on the Root folder ("Top of Information store"). As well as any additional folders in the path.