Inbox Nested Under Deleted Items or Outbox

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

Hoping to get some insight into behavior that I have seen with a couple of our users. In the past few months, we have seen a group of users that are having their Inboxes nested under the Deleted Items or Outbox folders. Finding information through online searches has not proven fruitful so I am asking the collective minds here.

Setting the localization settings in OWA helps with switching the Outbox back to the Deleted Items but does not put the Inbox back in place as a root folder in the folder structure. Our workaround has been migrating the data to an entirely new mailbox and reconfiguring all mail clients but I am hoping there is something I can do from the administrative level.

For my current user, I get an error when setting the localization settings in OWA, and in powershell, "The localization operation of the default folders of mailbox "user@domain" failed:Cannot localize the default folders."

I am running:

Set-MailboxRegionalConfiguration -id user@domain -LocalizeDefaultFolderName:$true -Language en-EN -DateFormat "d/m/yyyy"

Update 1/7/2021:

Still, no solid resolution, and Microsoft was unable to tell us why this happens but provided these steps that have worked for one user so far.

• Open Outlook with the below switch one after the other (you will have to close outlook multiple times while you run these commands)
    Outlook /resetfolders
    Outlook.exe /resetfoldernames
    Outlook.exe /resetnavpane

• Switch Outlook view to Compact

The compact view should straighten it back out and you can switch the view back to normal. I am testing with another user later today.

2 Replies

Try running Outlook with the resetfolders switch

1. Outlook.exe /resetfolders

@Vasil Michev 

We tried this as well, before and after setting localization. We even tried moving them using MFCMapi with no success.