SOLVED

Will VBA be obsolete from excel?

Copper Contributor

We have been receiving news about macros that it will be obsolete soon? Not sure if we should believe it or not? We have a product largely based on macros. if its true, we need to find option. 

3 Replies
best response confirmed by Nahid510 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Nahid510 

No, it is extremely unlikely that Microsoft will ditch VBA. There are far too many solutions all over the world that rely on it.

@Nahid510 

Quite popular question in recent few years. Microsoft could push to shift on Office Script, whatever and  stop VBA progress. But not to decline VBA at all.

Probably not any time soon. In the very least, it will be kept in for compatability. Features do get removed once in a blue moon but nothing as big as vba. I do think Microsoft is enamored with the possibilities of Python (and the fact they can control the security). The current state of VBA is workable but much harder to work with XLSMs than ever in my experience. The February 2023 update tightened security. I tend to only use VBA for timings and such but I've encountered quite a few security issues (e.g. Workbook is blocked because it's not trusted) in the past two years with clients' workbooks.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Nahid510 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Nahid510 

No, it is extremely unlikely that Microsoft will ditch VBA. There are far too many solutions all over the world that rely on it.

View solution in original post