Copilot for Microsoft 365 Tech Accelerator
Feb 28 2024 07:00 AM - Feb 29 2024 10:30 AM (PST)
Microsoft Tech Community

What happened to my Personal Macros that I have recorded?

Copper Contributor

I generally try to save my macros so they can be reused. Now I can't find them and there isn't an option to find them on the Developer-Macro page. How and where can I find them?

1 Reply

@DJsDarell 

In Excel, the location where your personal macros (recorded using the Macro Recorder) are saved depends on the storage location you chose when you recorded the macro. If you're unable to find your recorded macros, here are a few steps you can take to locate them:

1. Check the Personal Macro Workbook:

The default personal macro workbook is a hidden workbook that opens every time you start Excel. It's typically stored in the "XLSTART" folder. The file is called "Personal Macro Workbook" and has an extension ".xlsb."

To unhide it, you can go to the "View" tab on the ribbon, click "Unhide" in the "Window" group, and select "PERSONAL.XLSB."

2. Use the Macro Dialog:

On the ribbon, go to the "View" tab and click on "Macros" in the "Macros" group.

In the "Macros" dialog box, select "All Open Workbooks" from the "Macros in" dropdown list.

Your recorded macros should be listed here.

3. Search Your Computer:

Use your computer's search function to look for files with the extension ".xlsm" or ".xlsb" (macro-enabled workbook formats).

If you remember any specific names you gave to your macros, you can search for those names.

4. Check Recent Files:

If you recently worked on the macros, you can check the "Recent" files list in Excel. Go to "File" > "Open" and look in the "Recent" section.

5. Record the Macro Again:

If you still can't find the recorded macros, you might consider re-recording them. This time, be sure to note the storage location and filename.

6. Check Trusted Locations:

If you saved your macros in a specific folder, make sure that folder is a trusted location. Go to "File" > "Options" > "Trust Center" > "Trust Center Settings" > "Trusted Locations."

Remember, if you saved your macros in the Personal Macro Workbook, it's a hidden workbook, and you may need to unhide it to access the macros. If you recorded the macros in a specific workbook, you should be able to find them in that workbook. The text and steps were edited with the help of AI.

My answers are voluntary and without guarantee!

Hope this will help you.

Was the answer useful? Mark as best response and Like it!

This will help all forum participants.