Vertical stacked bar charts in Excel

Copper Contributor

Alan_Fleming111265_0-1653033695153.png

Hi. I've created this chart in Excel and want to make the entries in the legend appear in the same order top to bottom as they are in the chart (the legend reads A to D from the top but the bars read A to D from the bottom). I tried the following:

1. Right-click on one of the names listed on your legend.
  2. Click on the "Select Data" option from the list that appears.
  3. Click on the entry you want to move in the "Legend Entries (Series)" box.
  4. Click the "Up" or "Down" arrows in the box to change the position of the legend. Click “OK” when finished to save your changes.

However, while this reverses the order of the legend entries it also reverses the order in which they appear in the chart, leading to the exact same issue remaining as per this:

Alan_Fleming111265_1-1653033991142.png

Anyone know how to resolve this problem? It would even be helpful to be told that Excel can't do this at all (the problem doesn't seem to occur with horizontal bar charts). Many thanks. Alan

4 Replies

@Alan_Fleming111265

What happens if you create the chart again from scratch? When I tried to reproduce your problem, the legend was in the correct order by default.

S1447.png

@Hans Vogelaar I actually DID create it from scratch just before creating the post. It was actually one at my workplace that I was working on and having this problem with so I created the new chart on my home laptop but it seemed to have the same problem.

@Alan_Fleming111265 

I'm afraid I can't explain that. Sorry!

@Hans Vogelaar thanks anyway!