Start a new line of text inside a cell in Excel

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have a problem when I try to start a new line of text inside a cell. I am working on Mac and when I use the key combination option+control+enter; text drops under and everything looks ok but when I press enter all text disappeared and this shows up #NAME? it looks like some functions get turned on by using key combination. Can anyone help, please. 

2 Replies

@TomBas 

The name error suggests that you accidentally typed the =-sign in the beginning. Excel thinks you are entering a formula but doesn't recognise the name of it. Hence #NAME?.

Is the text you are entering part of a formula, remember to add quotes around the text. For example:

="Hello number "&1

....will return Hello number 1

Just entering

=Hello

.... will return #NAME?

You further mention that all text disappears after pressing Option-Ctrl-Return. You are trying to enter a line-break in the cell. Try typing the entire text first, then place your cursor at the position where the break should be made. Then press Option-Ctrl-Return enter the break and Return again to confirm.

It then should look like this:

Screenshot 2020-01-22 at 09.19.12.png

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

Thank You very much for your help! Indeed, I include the "-" minus symbol at the front of the text which was generate the problem I had. After removing the minus symbol I was able to write in a new line.

Thank You!