SOLVED

need to delete one drive

Copper Contributor

I try as hard as I can to not get one drive involved with my excel program, but invariably it somehow gets involved and as soon as it does it destroys my program.  I have been running this program daily for over 2 months.  When I opened it today, I get a message that it is being repaired. As I try to load my backup, it shows me it is in one drive.  Every time it backs something on one drive it damages the program  I there any way I can delete one drive from my exel?

2 Replies
best response confirmed by bigjim1216 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@bigjim1216 

I understand your frustration with OneDrive interfering with your Excel program. While you cannot directly delete OneDrive from Excel, there are several ways to prevent it from causing issues:

1. Disable OneDrive integration in Excel:

• Open Excel.
  • Click on File > Options.
  • Select Save in the left pane.
  • Under Save Options, uncheck the box next to "Save to OneDrive by default".
  • Click OK.

This will prevent Excel from automatically saving files to OneDrive.

2. Change the default save location:

• Open Excel.
  • Click on File > Save As.
  • In the Save As dialog box, browse to the desired location where you want to save your files.
  • Click Save.

This will set the chosen location as the default for future Excel files.

3. Completely disable OneDrive:

• Right-click the OneDrive icon in the system tray (usually near the clock).
  • Select Settings.
  • Click on the "Unlink OneDrive" button.

This will stop OneDrive from syncing files to the cloud and prevent it from interacting with your Excel program altogether.

4. Use a local backup solution:

Instead of relying on OneDrive for backups, consider using a local backup solution like an external hard drive or a cloud storage service that doesn't automatically sync files. This will give you more control over your backups and prevent them from potentially damaging your Excel program.

Additional Tips:

• Repair your corrupted Excel file: If your program is already damaged, try repairing it using the built-in repair tool in Excel. You can access it by going to File > Open > Browse, then clicking the dropdown arrow next to Open and selecting "Open and Repair".
  • Report the issue to Microsoft: If none of these solutions work, consider reporting the issue to Microsoft so they can investigate further.

By following these steps, you should be able to prevent OneDrive from interfering with your Excel program and ensure the smooth operation of your daily work

@bigjim1216   Thank you so much.  This is what I was looking for.  I like the idea of saving my files to the cloud but the headaches are not worth it.  I am already saving them to two different external files.  I even have it set up in the program to save to this PC and both external drives automatically and that works well.  Also thanks for the tip on repairing my files.  That will come in handy, but hopefully not as much now that I have unlinked onedrive.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by bigjim1216 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@bigjim1216 

I understand your frustration with OneDrive interfering with your Excel program. While you cannot directly delete OneDrive from Excel, there are several ways to prevent it from causing issues:

1. Disable OneDrive integration in Excel:

• Open Excel.
  • Click on File > Options.
  • Select Save in the left pane.
  • Under Save Options, uncheck the box next to "Save to OneDrive by default".
  • Click OK.

This will prevent Excel from automatically saving files to OneDrive.

2. Change the default save location:

• Open Excel.
  • Click on File > Save As.
  • In the Save As dialog box, browse to the desired location where you want to save your files.
  • Click Save.

This will set the chosen location as the default for future Excel files.

3. Completely disable OneDrive:

• Right-click the OneDrive icon in the system tray (usually near the clock).
  • Select Settings.
  • Click on the "Unlink OneDrive" button.

This will stop OneDrive from syncing files to the cloud and prevent it from interacting with your Excel program altogether.

4. Use a local backup solution:

Instead of relying on OneDrive for backups, consider using a local backup solution like an external hard drive or a cloud storage service that doesn't automatically sync files. This will give you more control over your backups and prevent them from potentially damaging your Excel program.

Additional Tips:

• Repair your corrupted Excel file: If your program is already damaged, try repairing it using the built-in repair tool in Excel. You can access it by going to File > Open > Browse, then clicking the dropdown arrow next to Open and selecting "Open and Repair".
  • Report the issue to Microsoft: If none of these solutions work, consider reporting the issue to Microsoft so they can investigate further.

By following these steps, you should be able to prevent OneDrive from interfering with your Excel program and ensure the smooth operation of your daily work

View solution in original post