Missing Excel Sheet

Copper Contributor

Hello! 

I was working in an Excel document with multiple sheets. I wanted to take one of the sheets out and put it into a new workbook by dragging it onto my desktop. However, it completely disappeared when I did this. 

I have searched my trash, documents, folders, everywhere on my computer to no avail. I have also tried all of the suggestions I could find with a google search for recovery and am still at a loss.

Does anyone know where my sheet may have gone? 

Thanks,

A desperate data analysis 

4 Replies

@abhubbs 

If the original file is still open and you did not close or save the changes, then close the file without saving and reopen it, the sheet should be there.

hope that helps

Nabil Mourad

@nabilmourad 

The original file has been saved and closed so many times since this happened - thank you for the suggestion, though! 

@abhubbs 

i'm sorry to tell you that Deleting a worksheet is an undoable action (that's why excel displays a message box asking you to confirm the deletion.

yet you have an option to check an autorecovery version of the file that was save automatically behind the scene.

File >> Options >> Save >> Autorecover File Location.

An other option could be using a recovery software like Wondershare Data Recovery

Hopefully it works

Nabil Mourad

@nabilmourad 

I just don't understand why dragging the sheet out of the document would delete it. My gut tells me it's just hiding somewhere funky.