Lost personal macro workbook

Copper Contributor

Hi,

So I recently got a new App MacBook and, I transferred all the information over the wifi transfer feature. I then went to excel to record a macro and received this message "Personal Macro Workbook in the startup folder must stay open for recording." The workbook is not disabled in the add ins tab, it does not even appear as an option. I went to VBA to find the Startup path, and it says it exists but I cannot find it anywhere on my computer. How do I recover it, or go about creating a new one?

2 Replies

@eland012 I think you can create a new one just by recording a simple macro and telling it to save in your Personal Macro workbook. This should generate one if one does not already exist. Once it is created, you can click "Unhide" in the View Tab on the ribbon to unhide the workbook, then click File Menu to see the exact location of where it is saved.

@CWagner  I am having the same issue as above.  When I try to record a new macro I get the message 'Personal Macro Workbook in the startup folder must stay open for recording'.  I have located my XLSTART folder on my C drive and can see my saved macros there.  For some reason it seems that XLSTART is not opening or has become unattached to my Excel program.  I don't know how to get it back running automatically.